Tree stand position for self filming

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by cmonsta, Aug 18, 2015.

1. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am very very new to this. I did try a couple hunts last year, but season got cut short. I normally set my stand up so that the shot I expect will be on my left side, so I can shoot sitting down. My bow is also hanging on my left side. I would like the camera to be on my right, but arm isn't really long enough to make that work if the shot is to the left and slightly back. So I was having the camera on my left also. Its hard to operate, because my left hand is on the bow. I can manage, but because of the difficulty Im worried if/when a big one comes in Ill give up on the camera and just focus on the shot lol. Do you guys normally position your stand facing the shot to avoid this, or just deal with it and operate the camera the best you can on the left side, with your right arm?

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Prior to filming, I always set up so that my main shooting lane was on my strong side, about 10 o'clock as a right handed shooter.

Now with filming, I set up so that my stand is pointed right at the shooting lane, 12 o'clock. I have my arm on my right side and at a height so that the camera is eye level with me seated. This allows me the most versatility and range of camera/bow motion, IMO.

Like many things, you'll just have to try a few things out a figure out what works best for you. Some like their cameras lower so they have more clearance to shoot over the arm. I like it at eye level so all my interviews aren't backlit by the sky.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ is what I do. What type of camera are you using?

4. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with fitz you need to practice shooting with camera in tree with you till your comfortable I have my kids move my target around while I'm in the tree to practice

5. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks every one!! I'm using a Sony Handycam. I forget what model. One of the ones with the projector screen built in. I do have a remote for it which helps a ton. Need to upgrade the sound, one of them shotgun mics or something. But I've dumped enough money into this, need to make sure I can handle it before I dump more lol.