Team 11 - Hooves Up, Don't Shoot

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Beagle001, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here we go boys! Lots of familiar faces, and if memory serves me right (which may or may not be the case), myself, Soccerdan and MNpurple were on a winning team back on huntingnet, so maybe we can stir up some luck like we did that year.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was never on huntingnet but we were on the same team a few years back! And I was on MNpurple's team last year. Hopefully he can beat last years deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I knew it was something like that lol

Anyway, we should have a pretty decent team from the looks of it

4. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

MNpurple shot this last year and our team couldn't push us to win!

232 and some change I believe it scored. I'm still in awe of this buck.

5. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Just went back and checked, and I WAS on the same team as him on huntingnet when we won in '06, and had a pretty good follow up year in '07. He's got something figured out there in MN that's for sure!

6. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    You've done pretty good that last few years haven't you Soccerdan?

7. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    2 years ago I shot an 8 point that busted his main beam after the G3. He score almost 120 and was missing 5 or 6 inches. Last year was bad and mistook a buck for a different one. Ended up shooting a young buck. Got some good targets for this year so it should be good!

8. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    How are you looking?

9. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I am really trying to hold out for 4 yr olds nowadays, and I have one nice 8 point that I will post up but I am not sure how old he is. Real wide, good mass, short tines but big body.

Got a few really nice 3 yr olds running around right now too, and I'll be checking cameras this coming weekend again, so maybe something else will show up. My neighbor sent me a pic of a nice 10 point running around on his that I would shoot as well, so hopefully I will have him to target.

How old do you think he is if that is indeed him last year in the hard-horned pic?

Attached Files:

10. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I'd stick him at 3 and a half in last years picture at least. His neck starts at his brisket but doesn't have that hanging gut yet. Id say he's 4 this year for sure.

That buck looks just like one of the bucks I had pictures of last year. I'll try to find a picture or video.

11. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Good, the more I look at him, the more I am convinced he is 4.5, and the more I want to shoot him :evilgrin:

12. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Hahahaha. I think it's safe to say he's 4.5. Ive got the same problem with mine. I don't want him but I do lol. Kind of hope my wife will be the one to kill him if she hunts this year. It will make my choice easier to make haha.

13. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning, checking in from Canada. 14 days till opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fre

14. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the biggest I've got right now but I'm sure better will be coming soon[​IMG] How old you figure he is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fre

15. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pastorjim checking in here. I really don't have any good bucks on camera this year so maybe that's a good sign. Seems when I get a lot of bigguns on my cams I never see them during the season. Good luck to us all!

Blessings..........Pastorjim

16. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning! I figured I'd better get checked in.

I have quite a few places to hunt, but I don't really use trail cameras much at all so I don't have any pics of possible "inventory".

My best shot at putting a decent buck on the scoreboard will be in Kentucky (Graves county). My brother and I have exclusive access to huge tracts of corn and soybean farms there and those little patches of woods scattered throughout them hold a ton of deer. It's a real target rich environment.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in fellas, should be a fun season.

It's going to be a challenge for me this year. The rainy spring and summer really limited my opportunity to get my food plots in the way I wanted to. Luckily my soybeans actually volunteered so I have solid(but weedy) stand of about 2 1/2 acres of soybeans. They will actually mature way early this year since the volunteered in April. I normally plant around mid May. Should be interesting to see. I just got my Egyptian Wheat screens planted a couple weeks ago, which is about a month late. They seem to be coming along pretty well though so I'm hoping they will be good enough to screen around my plot to make them feel safe during daylight hours. I've been trying to get my Last Heat Beet planted for the last two weeks, but I'm running into some saturated soil that I just can't get prepared. On top of that, the 250 acre crop field that borders my property was left fallow this year due to all the rain we've had. All that has added up to nothing of quality on my trail cameras so far this season. Hopefully things will change as they start to find their fall ranges.

I've already been working on plan B. I've done some scouting on public land and have found a very promising little piece that I don't think gets any attention from other hunters. It's only about 160 acres with about 40 acres in beans on it. I walked the perimeter of the beans and a couple of the heavier trails. The timber is very thick and I busted out several deer just walking the edge of the beans. They were bedded all along the perimeter of that field. It's about a 30 minute drive from my house, but if I can't find any target bucks on my place, I'll be working hard trying to find one somewhere else.

18. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boonerville checking in. Looking forward to this year. Last year my team was 2nd...we lost by less than 50pts. Hopefully we can do even better. Last year I killed a 128 &150" bucks. Along with a pile of does. This year will be interesting. In starting fresh on 5 new farms, but I also still have my own 63 acre spot. I have quite a bit of history with several deer. I will be targeting bucks that are 4+ years old, regardless of headgear. Its possible I may enter a second buck as my antlerless, as I will probably back off on does this year until I see what kind of herd the new farms have. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Team 11 represents :D: I'm in the top left hand corner with my public land buck from last season. Looks like MNPurple's buck made the big time too.

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

20. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in.
    I mostly hunt my 10a behind my house, it's all woods and is part of about 60a of woods. I have a .30a food plot back in the woods and it's a big hit with the does who must bed down close by coz I get tons of pic of them all day long. The Bucks don't really show up till September, last year I had 2 about 135" that stayed around till about December then I didn't get any more pics of them so hope it will be the same this year. I got 2 buck on camera for the 1st time this year about a week ago and they are both 10s and 1 looks like he has some good mass. I'm hoping I will get some better pics of then as we get closer.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]60259[/ATTACH]
    image.jpg

Attached Files: