New camera arm on the way

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Bullseye, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Bullseye

Bullseye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year was my first season self filming. The biggest challenge I had was hauling everything in and the time needed setting everything up. Last season I had a muddy pro camera arm and a manfrotto mvh500ah fluid head. Although it was a solid and steady setup, I just found it to be overkill for me, and for as far as I have to pack my gear in, the chore of hauling it in was frustrating.

So since last season I've been searching for a different setup. I've been looking for an arm where I can leave the bases up and buy extras for each stand, easy to setup, and is compact and lightweight. I was planning to try the 3rd arm mini pro xl for these reasons, even though it doesn't look very sturdy. However, it appears they may be out of business because for the last month you haven't been able to purchase anything on their site.

Then last week I came across the site for Lightning Camera arms. I had emailed them a couple questions, and the owner quickly replied and asked to call me to chat about his arms. The next night we talked for about 30 minutes. Really nice guy to talk with, and he informed me that the reason he started making the arms was because he had the very same frustrations when he started trying to self film.

After talking with him, I've decided to order one of his assassin arms. Even though it's about twice the money I would have spent on the 3rd arm, I think it will be a much better and sturdier arm. His bases can be left on the tree, and extra bases are only $20. The assassin arm only weighs a little over 3lbs but has a reach of 51".

Just a disclaimer, I have no affiliation with them. I'm just passing it along in case you're looking for an arm that meets the same criteria I was searching for. I was so frustrated last season that I contemplated selling all my gear after the season was over and giving up on self filming. I got to where I had stopped taking my filming equipment out every hunt, which ultimately cost me the opportunity to capture my biggest buck kill on film. I'm hoping with a new arm and head, and a different pack to help haul it in, carrying it in and setting it up will be less of a hassle.

2. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They look like great arms!!

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

3. Bullseye

Bullseye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I sure hope it works out. The muddy pro arm I had last year worked great, it just took me too long to get setup. On many mornings, I'd have deer already underneath me and I'd still be trying to get everything setup. Leaving the base on the tree would have helped, but muddy wants almost as much money for additional bases as just buying a whole other arm.

4. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know what you think! I was trying to decide between the lightning arm and the muddy pro and went with muddy because I got a great deal on it. ($109.99) Still tempted to pull the trigger on a lightning arm though due to the fact the extra bases are so affordable!

5. Bullseye

Bullseye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Will do! That's a steal on the pro arm. Having a different pack probably would have helped, but I still have about a 30 minute hike to most of my stands, and I'm usually crossing ridges, creeks, fences, etc. so the less weight the better for my situation. With the pro arm and the manfrotto head, it was another 10-12lbs added to my load. Feels like 50 when you're climbing uphill :)

6. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    FYI. I just received my Gameplan Gear "The Cameraman" pack and it is going to work out excellent I think. It's rather large which is great for me because I wanted to be able to pack my hunting stuff in the same pack. As well as clothes in the late season. It has individual foam dividers on the inside that are customizable. It's pretty well thought out I believe. We will see after this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Bullseye

Bullseye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was really close to picking up one of those packs as well. I have a Gameplan Gear Pass Through 2 for my bow, and I love it. My concern with the cameraman pack was that it weighs 6lbs without anything in it, plus I wasn't sure with how it unzips from the front. I was wondering how that would work out while up in a tree. It looks to me like you have to make sure it's laying on its back anytime you open it, or else everything could just fall out.

I ended up picking up an Alps Pathfinder after watching a couple videos posted recently by guys on here. Keep us posted on how that camerman pack works out for you this season!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  8. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the way it unzips might be slightly challenging to get used to but the way the dividers are, I don't think you'd be at risk for anything falling out. It has pockets EVERYWHERE. I think it's worth the way it zips because it allows you to have the main compartment divided so your equipment isn't beating together. It has a pocket on one side you can zip a camera arm or tripod in. Plus it has a molle style system on the other side to where you can do the same. There's a rain fly you can pull out that keeps it weather resistant. I was really impressed. I'll try to take some pictures later of everything in there and some of the features. I only got to mess with it for about 10 minutes.

9. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I will add. The only unknown is the camera base. Early season I can put it on the inside of the pack. Later in the season I'll strap it to the pack

10. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I strap my base on the outside towards the top where the buckles are. I fold the top over it and then buckle it down. Works great!

11. Bullseye

Bullseye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea if you get some time post up some pictures of it. I had a hard time finding very many pictures/videos of it online showing all the different compartments.

12. txbowhunter13

txbowhunter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I also thought about getting this pack a few seasons ago but couldn't really find more info on it and heard some small negatives about it so I decided not to go with it. I'm sure it will work but I'm glad I got the Alps Pathfinder pack! Hope you like it too.