Tick Problem?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Jeffrey Jones, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So im hearing about a few of these tick born illnesses in my area one lady just had to get amputated due to an infection and im thinking of some ways I can stay safe while im out. The first time I scouted my hunting spot the ticks where thick in there as they always are maybe more this year. In short whats a good product or repellant? There saying the carrier of some new strain could be a deer tick. Is there anyone else who is seeing some of these problems in there area or states? Share your thoughts please.

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Permethrin

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Jeffery :wave:

The deer ticks have exploded here in upstate NY and Lyme Disease diagnosis statistics are rapidly increasing. I wear Rinoskin products [sox, pants and shirt] under my gear. I also sprayed my outer garments with Permethrin last year and probably will do again for this year. So far... so good.

4. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info i'll be picking up a bottle real soon and also lookin for some good to wear under for added protection thanks again

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've posted this on here before, but I don't mind doing it again.

You can spend quite a bit of money buying Sawyers or Repel permethrin spray cans to spray down all your early season clothing.

Here's a much more cost effective method and it's what I do:

Buy an inexpensive 1 gallon sprayer and either use the link below to order this 36.8% concentrate from Amazon or find a co-op, Tractor Supply or some other store along those lines and buy it. The mix ratio chart is on the bottle. 1 2/3 ounces of this concentrate will make one gallon of spray at the 0.5% level which is the same as Sawyers or Repel.

http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-36...471706&sr=8-1&keywords=permethrin+concentrate

It has a lot of other uses around the house as well, but if this is all you end up using it for it would be enough to treat all of your gear and the gear of quite a few of your friends for a couple of seasons.

6. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks will be looking into it