crazy hunting stories

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bo., Aug 11, 2015.

1. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    anybody got any stories bout crazy stuff that happened in the woods? I was in good ole goshen swamp hunting and I had probably been sittin on this blown over tree for bout 2 hours when I got to watchin the squirrels runnin up and down the trees around me.....2 squirrels in particular. and I remember thankin bout how awesome it was that they could go forward and backward up the tree and point their heads all around and still hold on. One of these cool little dudes decided to run over to another tree (and he was bout...maybe...20 feet from me if that) and all of a sudden a red tailed hawk that I had no clue was even there swooped down to try and catch this dude. he missed...but when he flew back up from his failed aerial attack...he flew within 6 feet of my head and circled around and flew off. scared me to death... I bet my tail end came 2 ft off that tree truck.

2. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dad had a barred owl land on his tree stand so they sat together for a minute.

I had son kids walk through playing some kind of adventure game so I turned on police sirens on my phone and they ran like the wind.

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As I was sitting in my stand last year, one of the locals decides to walk within 20 feet of my tree, and relieve himself, smoke a cigarette and BS on his cell phone!! Needless to say my evening hunt was over!

4. quadlee

quadlee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i saw a coon climbing a dead limb about 25 ft up in the air one time, the limb broke a he fell all the way down and landed on his back, he still managed to get up and run off, I dont know how tho

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This one time at hunting camp...

6. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I watched a squirrel climb up a tree one time. Once he got near the top he turned around, with his head looking down at the ground. He latched onto the tree with his back legs and started swinging. I had never seen a squirrel do that before nor since. He must have been one of those crazy thrill seeking squirrels. I thought for sure he was going to detach from the tree and fall 35 ft or so to his death but he didn't.

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was in my treestand on state land and had two kids sit on a log right below me and light up a joint, never saw me and never offered....later that same day a mushroom hunter and his dog walked right in front of me as well.

8. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg I have squirrels like that all the time eat my bird seed in my front yard.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. Not black squirrels, but grays. They hang by the cable to not depress the anti-squirrel device. Pretty smart rodents.

As far as crazy hunting stories, not really crazy but cool, I once had a hawk land on a branch a few feet away and stare at me for about a minute. It kept turning its head like a dog does when it's trying to understand what you are saying. I guess he couldn't figure me out and he finally fly away LOL.

10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was sitting in the stand one morning just as the sun was coming up. I was watching the squirrels beginning to scurry around when a hawk swooped out of nowhere trying to get a squirrel that was on the side of a tree. The squirrel moved at the last moment and the hawk crashed into the side of the tree. He hit the ground and kind of sat there for a minute and looked around like "I hope no one saw that." He then shook his head like a dog shaking off water and flew off. I guess he went hungry that morning.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if it's crazy but once I got chased up my ladder by a doe. Another time I had a hawk keep getting closer, it got about a foot away and I started poking at it with my arrow.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No amazing stories I can think of. I've had a deer stand on his hind legs and sniff my boots, squirrels climb around the tree onto my legs, squirrel wrestling with a huge hedge ball up a 60' tree..drop it from near the top and go back and try it again several times. I shot a bobcat once with my bow while sitting on the ground and had it turn and come right at me squalling and po'ed and had to hit it with my bow and twice while in a stand I've heard the famous whoop whoop (alleged) bigfoot vocalizations down along the creek on the property and from another stand along the creek on the neighbors property. Not saying it was a bigfoot but it wasn't anything I've ever heard before or since....maybe it was Matt Moneymaker, lol. Don't know what it was but it raised the hair on my neck and it was years ago before all the bigfoot crap on tv. Also saw a cougar one time back in the mid 80's while going into a stand here in MO. 100 yards away with snow on the ground left a perfect set of prints where it crossed the old lane way and jumped a 5 wire fence.

13. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that's what he was doing, but a lot higher up in the air and he wasn't reaching for any bird seed. Pretty fun to watch for me at least, maybe not so much for you.

14. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last season I was hunting and had two guys come down the trail in front to me that were squirrel hunting. They get to the property line 15 yards away from and the guy in the back stops to take a piss - they don't see me.

While he is pissing his buddy is aiming his gun on to my property - not aiming at anything other than a tree or something I'm sure.

That's when I surprised them with an arrow between them... Lol No I didn't do that but I said something to the effect of, "you better put that gun away, nothing over here for you to be aiming at". The other guy about pissed all over himself.

Note: yes I was hunting on the property line but I didn't have any shooting lanes into the other property. All of my lanes were cleared for once they step onto my property. Hang me.

15. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was texting with a member of the site a couple years ago when this red squirrel runs up the tree to my right and sits on a branch about 5 feet from me. What he does next a still laugh about, he starts masturbating, I text the member of the site what was happening and he fires back "use it as cover scent". I named the squirrel after a different member of the site but so I don't get banned he will remain nameless but you know who you are.:wave:

16. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last fall I was walking to my stand and I could hardly see a thing and about 20 yards from my stand I hear a deer start blowing right in front of my stand. Not going to lie is scared the living heck out of me the first time it did it. I just stood there until it finally ran off like 5 minutes later. Needless to say I didn't see much that morning.

17. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny! :lol:

18. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a doe at 50yds with a shotgun. She dropped on the spot. 15 seconds later a bobcat came out of the brush and jumped onto the doe and started clawing at the fur to get at the meat. I yelled from the tree at the cat "go get your own deer". It Didn't even look up. I fired another round into the ground next to the deer blowing leaves 10ft. in the air. No response. I had to climb down the tree. I thought I might have to shoot the cat to claim my prize. I got to 20 yds. before the cat jumped off the deer and ran away.

19. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We had a Anterless gun hunt here in WI about 8-10 yrs ago. I think they called it TZone if I remember right. Well my dad and I decided to sit on some public land to see if we could get a doe for the freezer. I ended up going in and just leaning up against a tree. After about 10 mins I look to my left and here is this giant bodied deer walking down the trail right to me about 20 yards. One side of his rack was busted off but the other side was a very nice typical 8 pt with about 12 inch tall tines. He came right up to me out of curiousity. If I stuck my hand out I could have petted him on the head he was so close.

Needless to say, I saw 4 bucks in about an hour. Go figure when I was trying to get a doe.

Sometimes I swear deer know when they are being hunted or know when they can and cannot be shot.

20. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a coon that really really wanted in my stand with me... It was exciting!