No more GM

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by OK/Sooner, Aug 8, 2015.

1. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After owing gm my whole life I made the switch today. I've been wanting one of these for a while now an finally found the one I wanted. It's a 15 tacoma tss. I love this little truck so far.
    [​IMG]

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice rig!

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Great choice!

4. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! It's runs a heck of a lot better than i thought they did. Going to add a few mods to it and hopefully drive it the next 10 years.

5. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great truck! I was sucked into the dark side a few years ago and have been very happy with the few Toyota SUVs we own. I wish they'd do something about the fuel consumption in the Tundra so I could buy one of those. However I'm now looking at a F150 in the next year or so just because the domestic trucks get much better fuel economy.

Anywho...take care of that truck and you'll easily get 10yrs of service out of it. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    You will love it. I'm cleaning mine out today for hopefully finalizing a deal on a 15 Tundra tomorrow. If that falls through, I will most likely order a 2016. Mine is an 05 with $154K miles and hasn't seen a shop except for body work when someone hit me. Only getting rid of it because it's an Access cab and I need more room for a car seat.

While I agree with the fuel mileage aspect (believe me, I'm anal about these things and have researched it back and forth all summer long), it's not more than 1-3mpg different than the 3.5 Eco. The 2.7 Eco does, however, get much better than the 5.7, but since I can't get one with a 6.5' bed, that's out.

Check Fuelly.com and see what the real world MPG is with all of the different engines, and you will see aside from the Ecodiesel, the 5.3's with AFM, and the Ford 2.7's, all fullsize trucks are within a few mpg of each other. When calculated over the lifespan of the vehicle, unless you put on serious miles, it often doesn't equate to more than a few thousand in savings of fuel.

Moral of the story? Pick the truck you like best. Ford makes a solid truck, imho, as well.

7. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you mean with the car seat. I just got rid of my z71. Even though it was ext cab my little boy was cramped back there. Thats the first thing I looked at with this one. He has tons of room in the back seat.

8. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't know about Fuelly.com, I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

My first kid is coming any day now so things like new pickups are on hold until next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Happy with my Tacoma, and they hold their value.

Got an access cab, but often wish I'd have opted for the double cab.

The aftermarket on these trucks is huge. A lot of options out there, but it can be addicting and get expensive quick.

10. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I'm probably going to go with a small lift and a topper to start off. Those toppers come in handy come hunting season.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to have a softopper for sale soon. Just saying...;)

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a 3" lift for mine. Only did the front for now, these trucks are hit and miss for driveline vibrations. Lifted the front about 2 1/2" and pretty much leveled it out. Luckily did not encounter a vibration. Still debating whether to put the rear on or not.

Been looking at toppers off and on, but can't get myself to pull the trigger. I might end up going with a tri-fold toneau cover and lock for the tailgate. As soon as I put a topper on I'd have something come up to where I'd constantly be needing to remove it

I've spent way too much on this thing as it is :lol:

13. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got one of these on it right now.
    [​IMG]
    I dont really care for it. With the topper i can lock all my stuff up and put a bed back there.

14. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to Taco Nation.. They will go everywhere and are notorious for not having many problems. Don't buy a small truck to save on gas mileage though. Mine gets less MPG than most Full Size counterpart V8 offerings actually. That said, my 2013 has 51k+ miles on it now and I don't expect to change vehicles for another 5-10 years at the minimum. It's almost weird how well they hold their value. Looking around online, models a step down from mine with equivalent miles are still selling for 27-30k (I gave 30k for mine 2 years ago). They have a cult like following that overinflates their resale value. Good for owners, bad for buyers looking for a used model.

Mine recently made a 5000 mile trek from one corner of the continent to the other. It's much happier up here :).

[​IMG]

15. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I remember when you bought yours Trevor. I need a topper like that! You had that truck loaded down for sure. can't wait to take mine on some adventures.

16. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. Case in point. Bought my 2005 Tacoma in 2007 used with 50k miles. Paid $17,800. Put 104k more miles on it in 8 years. Two dealers are offering 11K for my trade :D (without jacking the price of the new truck up).

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the market myself and trying to decide between a Taco and the new Colorado... I'd sworn not to buy GovMotors ever again, but the 4g hotspot and double the towing capacity has me leaning towards the Colorado pretty hard. Due to parking concerns I need a mid or smaller sized truck, but a 3400# camper that follows me to deer camp every season needs something more tow capable.

18. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've only bought 2 vehicles since graduating from college in 95'. A 1997 Tacoma (278K miles), and a 2002 Tundra (145K miles). They are still my everyday vehicles and run like tops. Aside from routine maint., I've only replaced a one fuel pump and that's all for both trucks combined. You can't go wrong.

19. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Grats on the new ride. I bought a new taco in 2014 love it to death and wouldn't trade i for anything.

20. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: