New to hunting

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Colbyjt, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Colbyjt

Colbyjt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to hunting, trying to find best place to put my tree climber, can only scout for about two weeks before opening day, is this too late to scout? If so what are my options and if I can scout what am
    I looking for as far as feeding and bedding areas. Will be hunting in southern Georgia

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not too late to scout... look for fields and open areas were the deer are at early morning or late evening (lot of time ya can find these just by driving the backroads just before dark. Once ya find where they are feeding then look for trails in and out of the area.. will be tracks and fresh droppings around... dont walk the trails (dont want to leave scent and disturb the area any more then possible)... find bedding areas (depressions in the grass where they have been laying down)... place your stand downwind of the trail between feeding and bedding... if the woods narrow to form a funnel somewhere along the travel route, thats the best place... depending on wind

3. Colbyjt

Colbyjt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips

4. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some people might say it is a little late to scout but I disagree. If you need to scout then scout. At anytime, if you can scout sooner definitely do it. In your situation get out there and do it sooner then later. Look for good trails, natural funnels, a food source near decent cover and water.

5. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hang a trail cam if you have 1. but beware there are MANY THEIVES out there. Hide it good.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never too late to scout. The most ideal time is right after your season closes. I, however, end up doing most of my scouting in season.

7. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Southern GA. I'm in Northern GA. Season starts September 12th. Since you're starting so late, I would definitely do your best to keep your scent under control, use maps, and if you know the area has deer already, find a deer trail, see where they have a food source and water source. Set up shop by a food source, and creek. You should be good to go. If you can bring a trail cam with you I'd set it out and when you go out to hunt, I'd check it. Otherwise, if you want to risk checking it before the season starts, check it and see what's out there.

8. scoot720

scoot720 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the obsession...

9. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shouldn't you find out who the land owners are and ask first? Rather than just looking around and then going?

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I scout everytime i go out. Even when i am hunting. Always be scouting, looking for sign, or lack of sign. Im always looking for a better tree or location. Its never too late if you never quit doing it.