Switching from G5 T3's to NAP Killzones...anyone done same?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by LizzidGizzid, Aug 4, 2015.

1. LizzidGizzid

LizzidGizzid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I've been doing some research (online ;)) and decided to try out the NAP Killzones. I have always used the G5 T3's, with success. I am skeptical of the sharpening job I had to do on the G5 T3's. Also, I like the features of an expandable, but am tired of the O-rings (started years ago with the Cabela's Lazers) and spider clips. Finally, I like the rear-deployment feature.
    I have read many, consistently good reviews.

Question: has anyone out there made a similar transition to the Killzones? Thanks!

2. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch from swackers to the nap killzone. I to was tired of the rubber band non sence. The Killzone is a awesome head you will have no problem with them. I made the switch to the nap spitfire last year it's a 3 blade. I still nock a killzone from time to time.

3. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been considering the killzone myself coming from 100 grain thunderheads, just looking for a little better down range accuracy and tuning forgiveness. I have a question that I cant seem to find the answer to, when in the open position are the blades in anyway "locked" in position? I believe this would be considered "barbed" making it illegal in VT... any thoughts?

4. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No they are not locked in position, but both blades are slaved together and will open in unison every time. Once opened as long as there is pressure on the blades they will stay opened all the way.

5. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks bud, appreciate that. I believe that would make them legal.

6. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made the same switch. I like them both, but will be going be to T3's. They both flew the same for me and I wanted to try a large cutting 2 blade.

The T3 has a much smaller profile, 3 blades, and I have shot 3 deer with them, not one making it over 50 yds. All lung shots.

The buck I shot last year with a kill zone make it 100 yds...lung shots.

I think you will be happy with either, but I like my confidence in the T3's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. LizzidGizzid

Dislikes Received:
    hehe...no problems with the T3's, just had the itch to experiment a littl IMAG0208.jpg e....pic of last year T3

and another one with T3

IMAG0206.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  8. LizzidGizzid

Dislikes Received:
    Update: received the Killzones today. Very sharp blades, but also seem very hard to open I've seen the videos and read some things about them, and was curious to see for myself. Did my own cardboard test with Killzones and T3's and found the T3's easily opened, but the Killzones took quite a bit of force...once they did not even open.
    If you use Killzones, did you find the same? Did you have any failures to open or pass-thru with them?
    Also: tried one head with practice blades and they hit same POI as G5 T3 practice heads and field points.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The Kill zone opening pressure is fine. It just means they won't open in flight. Don't worry about it.

10. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch from muzzy last year and the results were pretty awesome, I didn't get a pass thru but it left a hole I could stick my fist into and he dropped in 40 yards!

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both of them are quality broadheads and if you have the KE for the T3 you should have more than enough for the Killzone. Just remember to shot them before season to make sure they fly good out of your setup. They should but many people assume since its an expandable that it will fly good. Always better to know than assume. Good luck this season with what ever you pick.

12. LizzidGizzid

Dislikes Received:
    I tested with the practice blades...fly and group great.
    I will try the Killzones this year...thanks, everyone!

13. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying the Killzone MAXX this year for the first time. Used the T3's the last two years and killed 3 deer with them. I have no complaints with the T3, just wanted to try a big cut 2 blade. I will still have one in my quiver though.

14. LizzidGizzid

Dislikes Received:
    I am now shooting a 475 g arrow setup, which has been great. Added weight should add some deployment benefits with the Killzone mechanical...hope I get an opportunity to use it on a deer this season.

15. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Are you using trophy tip or COC? I'm testing out the COC during early season. I might switch to trophy tip to have more penetration. They cut like a hot knife through butter and make deer bleed well.

16. quadlee

quadlee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to try Kill Zones as well, I picked up a pack of trophy tips, they are flying great.

17. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting Killzones since they came out in 2012. Prior to that I shot Muzzy's and still like them very much. I have plenty of Muzzy's that will see action. I've shot four deer and two antelope with the Killzones and got pass throughs with all but one antelope. It actually poked out the opposite side but the arrow stayed in and the antelope dropped after 20 yards. I shoot 67 lbs. I video taped a bear hunt this spring and the bear was shot with a Killzone at 16 yds at 55 lbs and went completely through the bear. Two other hunters killed big bears and the Killzones passed through them as well.

18. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big Killzone fan and have shot them since they came out. I've taken 5 deer with them (4 does and 1 buck). All died within sight, all were pass through lung shots. If you've got adequate KE, and accurate shot placement they are a deadly head. I shoot 70 lbs at 30" with a 500 gr arrow. This setup with the Killzone is beastly.

19. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from Muzzy's to Killzones a couple years ago and really like them. Shot a buck last year and got a pass thru with no trouble. After I cleaned off the broadhead it still looked brand new. I was actually kind of surprised by that as I thought after shooting an expandable they are pretty much one and done. I bought the Killzone Maxx this year mainly because they didn't have the normal 2 inch ones available. I still have to try them out in my new setup. I will this weekend sometime. IMHO Killzones are a great broadhead! :tu: