For scarps23

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Oldcarp, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    MFDC0336.jpg STC_0007.jpg

2. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I noticed the picture is July 14. Are they hard horn yet or will they be by the time you start hunting them next week?

3. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    They are usually hard horned by the start of the hunt. Or still rubbing. By the end of August all but your spikes will be hard horned. The deer will still be in the velvet

4. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is that a wallow in second pic? Looks like maybe.

5. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is

6. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    I'm excited to get out and see if the same wallows are being hit as 2 years ago when we went. Bringing a hang on stand if I want to use it.

When do you get most of your pics on wallows? What time of day is what I'm looking for? Any patterns you see that are yearly? Sorry...20 questions.

7. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Most my pictures are late afternoon and evening. Every elk I have shot at this wallow has been in the evening or late afternoon. The elk I have shot in the mornings are spot and stalk or at the mineral lick. I seem to get most my elk in the evening and my deer in the morning. It might be I am more patient to sit in the afternoon.

8. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Not a bad idea for the day. Run and gun for the morning. Sit for afternoons. I'm always second guessing what we are doing while elk hunting. Experience is at the low end only going one time, but I feel more confident than last time so that is good. Either way, it is great getting out in the mountains. Guy I hunt with is wanting to always be on the move and I'm more of move slowly or sit somewhere and see what happens. Makes a big difference if the elk are being vocal....if that is the case I have no problem moving quickly towards the location.

Deer are pretty easy here where I live. Not much to it, besides sitting in a treestand for many hours and having patience with little movement. I think applying some of the same hunting that I'm familiar with out west will help.

9. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    This is a little funny. My oldest boy has a knack for finding elk. He likes to spot-n-stalk and He moves very slow and glasses a lot. There is not many days he doesn't come across elk. The problem is he gets buck fever real bad. He even has dry fired his bow once. (He forgot to put an arrow in). My second son doesn't see near the elk but covers a lot of ground but he is a very good shot. He has shot more elk then my oldest son but my oldest has the bigger bull on his wall. My two other boys are not the die hards there older brothers are. One fishes twice a week and the other is football junkie. It is fun when we all hunt together. Having four boys is nice. Especaily when there oldman needs an elk packed out:deer: