Winter wheat food plot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Battle734, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Battle734

Battle734 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This year the farm I will be hunting over is planting winter wheat. I've only been hunting 2 years at this spot and both years has been beans. I was wondering if I'm going to see an increase, decrease, or about the same activity as I have in the past. Never hunted over winter wheat before.

Hunting Map.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is there anything else around as far as crops? They will hit the winter rye, especially late.

3. Battle734

Dislikes Received:
    There are beans and corn in the fields on the opposite sides. The property line unfortunately stops at the fid edges though so I cannot hunt over them. I will post a picture tomorrow

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of "ifs".
    I'd probably rank standing late winter beans higher as a food source than winter wheat overall but beans as a cash crop are hardly ever left standing and the bean residue is less desirable than winter wheat just from a quantity of food available point of view. (Fall) Young tender wheat compared to preharvest beans...I'd give an edge to the tender wheat. Extremely late winter, standing beans and bean residue are likely long gone, wheat may be under snow but can be dug out. If there are enough beans to make it that deep into winter they would be preferred over wheat, higher energy and standing above the snow.

Wheat is a fine thing to have if beans are not left standing or only beans are left standing in a small quantity.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In that case, I'd prefer to have the wheat. Deer like diversity, corn residue on one side and bean residue on the other (during hunting season) is going to pretty much make the wheat in the center a pretty reliable draw.

6. Battle734

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my map. Red outline is property i am able to hunt. yellow are my stands. blue is small stream. fields are labeled

Hunting Map.jpg

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a beautiful set up good luck this fall. The winter wheat will be a draw.