Looking for a 1958 Mercury Mark 58 outboard

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody have one laying around or on an old boat a Mark 78 would even be better. Paying cash. Been looking online but there has to be one sitting around in an old barn.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Found one, got a bargain on a fully restored one in New Jersey. Now all I have to do is fly out rent a hatchback and drive back. It is going to look beautiful on the 58 Alumacraft deep C. Pretty excited to have a winter project. Anybody looking for a 35hp older merc with controls and electric start.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Left the New Jersey shore Friday morning 18 hours and 2 stops later I was dropping off the rental car at the airport. The motor was worth the trip, it looks like new. I will post up some pics of the beauty when I get the motor up on the stand.

4. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's some serious driving!

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Set the cruise control at 79 and have a redbull.:rock: Had the XM in the volkswagon, dang car had over a 600 mile range on a tank of gas.

6. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a ways to go for a boat motor. I bet the trip was fun though. Why did you want that specific motor?

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The boat I acquired is a 1958 Alumacraft Deep C, the boat currently has a 1968 Mercury 35 hp. I wanted a period correct motor on the boat. This may sound crazy but this boat is in showroom shape, absolutly 100% original and complete so it deserved the correct motor. The Motor is a Mercury Mark 58 motor, 45hp and beautiful, I am an evinrude guy normally but in the 50's and early 60's Mercury made the best performing and best looking motor. I have restored a few International Scouts in the past looking forward to working on a boat, the beauty of an old aluminum boat is that it is not as much work as an old wood boat.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The motor I picked up is fully restored another reason why I decided to not wait till one was available closer and the price was right.