Climber vs hang ons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rayder, Aug 3, 2015.

1. rayder

rayder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I've grown up hunting a large piece of private land which we've always had several hang on stands set up, but now that I'm off at college and forced to try and hunt some public land down around where I attend, I've been thinking about possibly purchasing a climber, or a couple fairly cheap hang on stands so it wouldn't really hurt if they were to disappear during the season. What would you all do? I like the idea of being able to move around and not have to worry about it being stolen, but I feel like the climber would also limit some of the trees i could hunt. Any thoughts?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It really all depends on where you are hunting. For me, a climber isn't worth much because there are not very many climbable trees around here. I use a hang on and sticks instead. I can get them in trees I couldn't even dream of getting a climber. It's a little more work though, so if you have nothing but straight branchless trees, a climber would be much easier. I just feel like the hang on and sticks is just a more versatile setup.

3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much sums it up!!

4. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on your 1. budget 2. where you hunt and 3. how passionate you are about hunting.
    If you want essentially a lone wolf climber with an XOP name, then here is a link https://www.eders.com/xop-strike-force-tree-stand.html

That is if you want a climber. There are other climbers out there that are great and will work. Summits are great. My brother has one and it is really comfortable. I love my climber. not because its lone wolf but because how quiet it is and how fast and efficient it is. Are there some trees that I can't climb? yes. But where I live in texas I look to either side of the tree that i cannot climb, and I can find one that I can climb. This year I am adding climbing sticks to my setup so that I can get into any tree and just use my climber as a hang on with my sticks.

If you don't want a climber, there are other hang on stands you can get. Then it really depends on your budget. If you want like a nice stand it will be 100-200 depending on what you are looking for. Like muddy, XOP, Lonewolf, Summit. Then another 100-200 on climbing sticks. With both the climbing sticks and the hang on, you can pack in and out ever hunt and get into pretty much every tree.

You can always buy cheapos if you would like with the possibility of it being stolen if you don't lock it up. Then you will be in the same boat next year when season starts.

So its ultimately up to you and your needs/preferences. You don't have to go expensive. You don't have to go cheap. Its up to you.

5. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think a bow hunter should use both. I have those trees that I use year after year that I put a hangon in either because I know I will be sitting there a lot or the tree has too many branches in the way. Then I have those days that the wind is wrong for my hangons or want to try a new spot. I grab my climber then. My climber is way WAY more comfortable also so if I'm sitting all day, I definitely grabbing my climber.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^

7. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have and use both all on public land. Invest in a Python lock or some other cable lock. For my hang on and sticks, I replaces the pins on the ladder sticks with master locks and cable lock the stand. For the climber, cable lock. The hang on is a more versatile set up as previously mentioned. Plus I prefer it compared to the climber any day. No sweating like crazy climbing the tree in the early bow season.

8. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to disagree with some opinions here let me say first that I use both hang ons and climbers lone wolf alphas are my favorite but if cost was a factor my climber is my first choice I can sit comfortable all day and feel very safe in it by the way I use treewalker . I have also used my climbing stickes to get my climber into the right tree not any more difficult then the hang on . But my style of hunting I need to adjust quickly and quietly

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use both a Lone Wolf handclimber and Lone Wolf Assault with 4 Lone Wolf sticks. That way I can hunt the spot I want, not the spot with the right tree. I hang and hunt the same day with the hang on because I won't leave stands out on public land. It's not bad once you practice a little.

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I would use a climber. If you really don't care about the cheap stands I would leave it up then take the bottom two ladder sections off the tree

11. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a summit climber and lone wolf AH2. I can hunt any tree.

I find myself moving around more than I used to so it works for me. Hang ons are nice but not comfy or fun to replace after being stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had some some hang on stands that walk off or you get to them and I found cig butts stuck in the bark just someone letting me know they were hunting my stands on private ground no less. I have two climbers and many hang ons and ladders,all have there place. Hard to beat any stand you hunt right away first time in ups your odds in my book.

13. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Climber is the way to go on public land unless you don't mind giving your stands away to thieves

14. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Like just about what everbody said id use a climber for public land only because it goes with you in and out but if you know your stand isn't gunna be taken the hangon its 10+ pounds your not carrying into the woods

15. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have both, Certain areas that I hunt just will not work with a climber whereas some areas I have groups of 3 trees that I can climb up with a climber.

16. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i agree. i used to use self climers. but if theres not a straight tree. well you cant climb there. and if theres twigs. you cant cut that twig down because its against the regulatios for cuttinng live vegitation on public grounds. id prefer a lone wolf portable tree stand with 4 lone wolf sticks. perfect on both private and public