Pro Tracker

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jeepwillys, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whats Y'alls thoughts on this. I Don't think it will be allowed since its barbed. Personally wouldn't consider using it but just thought i'd throw it out there.
    hope the link works.

https://pro-tracker.com/

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Probably not, takes the fun and challenge out of tracking.. Plus idk if id want that system on the end of my arrow

3. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would be legal in CT because its not poison or a laser, that just looks like a beefed up version of what my grandfather used a string attached to the arrow and then fallowed the string when it stopped moving :lol:

Suncrest08 likes this.
  4. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    IDK. A lot of states have banned barbed shaped broad heads in the hopes that in the case of a bad shot and the animal survives. The broad head has a better chance of coming out. Not to mention that your arrow would be slightly lop sided.

5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Probably illegal here in NY. I dont think I would use it even if was legal. Not my thing

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Even if it was legal there is no way I'd use that. No idea of the weight, and I wouldn't want to practice with that thing on, not to mention it looks like plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Someone trying to make a dollar..I won't buy it.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No thanks I have a pro tracking barn cat.

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen a number of companies advertise something similar. It's a good concept... The problem with most if not all is poor battery life. Most only will go 5-10 hours on a charge. I have no problem tracking animals that expire immediately. Its the ones I had to leave over night that can be hard to finding. I could see some legal issues as this would allow you to track game with a non-lethal hit.

10. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    LOL:lmao:

11. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dad used some thing like this probably ten years ago. It wasn't barbed, it had a ring that went between the broadhead and the insert that you could tie a string to. He missed a 140" buck because the string got wrapped around something on his bow when he drew. When he shot the string tighten up and broke and the arrow went kiddywampus.

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did anyone look at the cost?

wow................

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can buy a lot of cat food for that price.

14. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For reasons already said, I would not use that model. If someone came up with the same concept that could work as a part of the nock or fletching; it would be worthwhile to avoid scenarios of shooting an animal and not recovering it. That unit looks too cumbersome for me to want to attach it to my arrows. Any technology that can aid in recovery should at least be considered and debated.

15. Lynn Erickson

Lynn Erickson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been interested in buying the Pro-Tracker as well--waiting for my stimulus check first. lol.
    Looks like they've done a lot of updates since this thread. But the design looks a lot better than the old one. Still plastic but I have some buddies who use it and swear by it and say the plastic doesn't break. I asked about the low battery and they said it lasts like 18 hours (not 5 like someone mentioned on the thread)... but they never had to track an animal that long because they found their animal within 30 minutes...the exception was one that took longer to find cause they left the receiver in their truck. Then once they got the receiver it led them to the deer. The deer was even laying on the tracking piece, completely covered it in blood! I reached out to the company and they told me the transmitter weighs 120 gr and the carrier is only 70 gr (guess you got to cut 3" off arrow first). I said that seems pretty heavy, but they said the added forward weight truly helps and they give you a dummy to practice and get comfortable with. Think I'll order one and try it... and then update you.

16. Lynn Erickson

Lynn Erickson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Update: I bought the Recovery System by pro-Tracker and wanted to share my experience. Because I had to cut off 3 inches of my arrow it took a little longer than I expected to just get myself to an archery shop. I was half tempted to get my chop saw out! They thought I was nuts for cutting it so much and are curious about the result of what I was putting on my arrow! So even though that part was inconvenient that is the ONLY negative thing I have to say about the system. It works like a dream!

the carrier that holds the green transmitter doesn't rotate and make the arrow lopsided like I heard it might. They use rubber o rings so the arrow doesn't loosen and go crooked with the set up. I have to admit, when my arrow was all built up with the carrier and barbed transmitter I was hesitant! I looks clunky and weird. I'd wondered if it'd be better to just tie a string to arrow like some of you'd said. haha. But I called the company and spoke with Gary (I think owner?) and he assured me to trust the system. I've lost animals in the past and it's really a terrible feeling. I made sure to really practice with the practice one included so I'd be more comfortable on a hunt. I should've thought about my target a little more. They'd warned in the instructions about it chewing up your target since it has barbs. They gave instructions how to build target that acts more like hide. Haven't made one myself but maybe I'll build one over the summer.

I've been successful with every hunt! I've gotten 2 whitetail and 1 elk. It was an absolute rush when the antenna & hand receiver's numbers got higher and higher indicating that I was getting closer to the animal. I learned that you have to triangulate to find the animal easier but that beats tracking all day. First one took 2.5hrs to find, second took about 45 minutes, and the third was quite a bit longer at about 7 hrs...but that one was in a really thick brush area that we had to go around quite a bit for any entrance. Don't know how in the world the elk got in. haha. When I finished each hunt I immediately charge up the transmitters... there were like 3 papers in recovery system box that said to keep it charged 24/7 or it would void warranty. So that's what I do. Keep it charged until I go out again!!!
    There's my experience. Looks weird as hell but it works and I'm sticking to it.