Gonna need a 4th set of limbs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by the wanderer, Aug 2, 2015.

1. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, its happened again. For the 3rd year in a row when I've taken my Bowtech Captain in to have the shop tune it up and check it out a crack was found in one of the limbs. This would be the 3rd set of limbs that are on it now. I've got a new Mathews NoCam that I'm getting set up this week. I had a business arrangement that made it possible to get a either a new Hoyt or Mathews as a sign on bonus for a contract, and since I've had so many problems with the my Bowtech I jumped on the oppurtunity. The reason I took the bow down to the shop to get it checked out was because I wanted to make sure everything was ok with the bow before I would considering selling it to someone. I was thinking about basically selling it for the cost of the accessories on it. The the bow would then basically be free. This way I thought whoever bought it wouldn't be cheated on cost if something happened to the bow under their ownership.

The guy at the shop said he'll have to break the bow down completely to see if there is any other damage before he calls Bowtech this week. So I am waiting to hear this week what they say. Last year Bowtech told my shop guy that this was the last set of limbs in existence for this bow. So, there shouldn't be another set of limbs that they can even send as replacement. I told him to convey to Bowtech that they have sold me an inferior product and I would like them to send me a brand new bow. Last year I told him the same thing because I didn't want be back this year in the same situation, and here I am. No matter what Bowtech comes up with I will most definitely will not be a customer of theirs again. I've wrote about this before on this forum last year, and quite a few blamed me for dry firing the bow. I can again assure anyone and everyone that I have never dry fired this bow and am shooting the a proper weight and spined arrow through this bow. The shop that I purchased the bow through is the one that set me up with the arrows. I didn't have a nock break while shooting the bow either. Also, no one else even touches this bow. It's in my hand or in it's case and that's it. I have two kids under the age of two. So, they are too young to even get at my bow. I didn't shoot winter league last year as family and work constraints didn't allow it. Therefore, I didn't even put as many arrows through it in a year that I normally would.

I'm trying to stay calm about the situation, but I am truly furious inside. I used to really love this bow and the way that it shot, but I'm so fed up with it that I can't wait to get my Mathews set up and be completely done with Bowtech all together.

Sorry, for the rant, but had to get it out.

2. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tough luck man...

You'll love the NoCam though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its amazing to me why people still choose to buy these bows. Its been a known blowtech issue for YEARS. My friends destroyer had cracked limbs, I had an insanity cxp that the limbs split into about 6 layers. Never again will I even look at what they have to offer

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have never once had an issue with a BT bow not one.

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If Bowtech is unable to help you shoot me a PM....

6. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    Many don't. I had a 32nd airborn that was fantastic for years. That said, the number of issues that come from their bows is far to high to even risk it in my opinion. I remember taking my insanity back to the shop and the tech pointed in the back and there were 3 other bowtech bows with limb issues and one with a bad cam. Just last year there was a run of Carbon Knights with cam issues. They were destroying strings in the first 200 shots.

I wish they would get their shat together. They have the best looking bows in the industry, they shoot awesome and are blazing fast but jesus get your act together bowtech.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would never buy a first year release of a flagship bow.

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you are in the minority. Leave it in the case and you shouldn't have any problems with it.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It could be the case Fletch, my bow has been transported 3 times once when I bought it and the other times to get new strings. It sits in a soft case on a table in a climate controlled garage, I shoot 6 arrows and set it back on the case. I don't even shoot in the sun, I shoot from inside the garage.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

It's kind of fun to use a bow that you can shoot all the time in all kinds of weather and even abuse a little bit. And, not have to replace the limbs. There's a whole world of bows out there that work like that. You Bowtech guys should check them out! It really makes archery fun.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problems with other brands, heck I have owned other bows. I simply have not had an issue with my Destroyer.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had 3 Bowtech's that I shot year round. I wore out several sets of strings one each and never had one issue with any of them. I know more people that have had PSE's and Martin's explode than Bowtech's. You see a lot more Bowtech failures on forums for some reason. I like all bows and don't bash any brand. Heck Hoyt's limbs splinter like crazy but people love Hoyt.

I am sorry to hear about the problems with your Captain. Chances are you will either be offered a mid level bow for free or a flagship for the upgrade charge.

13. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks tacklebox. Do you have some affiliation with Bowtech?

So I got to thinking this morning. Why haven't I called Bowtech and talked to them about all of these situations myself. Well, this morning I called customer service. Levi, the customer service rep, told me that I could simply send the bow directly to them without having to involve my dealer at all. I also brought up to him that the shop owner required me to pay him $60 for him to tear the bow down to further inspect for any other damage even though there was a visible crack. $60 is the normal price for a tune up at his shop. Bowtech said there was no need for that as they would be tearing the bow down to inspect it themselves anyway. They also said that at this point they would most likely send me a new bow considering all I've been through, and a cracked limb isn't necessarily the result of a dry fire. With this bow, the tell tale sign of a dry fire is a bent cam. He said most likely there is some kind of failure with the pivot point, or some other design flaw. I guess they would really have to inspect it figure it out. Well, I already payed $25 as a down payment to have the bow broken down and inspected. This guys been taking me for a ride. I will be calling them tomorrow when they open and demanding my $25 and my bow back. I will then deal with Bowtech directly. Why I never did this before, I don't know. I kind of always had this feeling that any warranty work would have to go through a dealer similar to vehicles. He did say that they have limbs for the bow, but they would not be original limbs. Essentially, after market limbs. Which, is what the last 2 sets have been. I told my shop guy last year to demand a new bow from Bowtech. He came back with saying that Bowtech said they would only provide me with new limbs. Now I'm thinking he purposely accepted the limb offer on my behalf so he could get some warranty work and my $60 for tearing the bow down. I can't wait to get my Mathews!

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Limb issue from Bowtech? how is that possible?......seen this more times then I could count. This is pretty old news, but it sucks for sure to be on the wrong end of things.

15. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well if they do give you a bow and you get to pick it, you could always get the RPM 360 70# and then give it to me?.. hahaha :p;)

Well at least in your customer service experience with Bowtech has been easy going and problem free so far. I hope it all gets worked out! The no cam is nice! If i had they extra money (and a way to hid it from my girlfriend) i would have bought one for sure. lol good luck brother

16. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    It really is a shame. I have liked every single bowtech bow iv shot yet when I look for a new bow I dont even consider bowtech due to the KNOWN issues that have been going on for far to long

17. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    I have no input on martin or hoyt as I dont shoot and havent really known much about either brand. BUT, a good friend of mine is a PSE dealer and I spend a crap load of time in his shop. I have never seen a single PSE come back "exploded" That said, I dont care for PSE myself. Havent ever really shot one that I liked. The EVO was ok

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most brands have has there share of issues at one time or another over the years.

Also with the internet is very easy for things to snow ball. The wrong person gets a limb splinter and his panties in bunch and then he goes viral and makes it into a Greek tragedy to whomever is willing to read it.

19. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear you've had so many problems. I had a Captain for 5yrs and never had the first issue. As a matter of fact, I thought it was one of the smoothest bows I had ever shot, and this coming from a life-long Hoyt shooter. I got rid of it because I made the mistake of shooting and Elite E35. The difference was enough to make me get rid of the Captain and get the Elite. I really hope you get things worked out to your satisfaction.

Blessings........Pastorjim

20. ILbowhunter

ILbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had many BowTechs, and had issues with three of them. There won't be another. One of them was a Captain, but it was a different issue than yours. I am surprised that they still have limbs for this bow, and it sounds like you are going to get taken care of, but I was going to suggest looking up Barnsdale limbs to see if they have them for that bow.
    Also, I have heard of BowTech offering a free low-end bow (Carbon Knight) or a high-end bow (Prodigy etc.) for a large discount in lieu of warranty repairs for the "older" bows.