Muzzy trocars or mx-3

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jflats123, Aug 2, 2015.

1. jflats123

jflats123 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I've been shooting mx -3's the past couple years and have had great success .I turn to the forum looking for information on the trocars and overall how they have performed for people in the field and is it worth upgrading to them or not

2. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    MX-3s have replaceable points is one advantage over Trocars. For the same weight the MX-3 have a larger cutting diameter.
    Not sure the Trocar extras are needed for deer type game, maybe larger and more dangerous game.

IMHO,
    MOBU

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the mx-3's work I wouldn't change. But I definitely think the solid steel ferrule on the trocar is a huge plus. And the trocar has replaceable blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have played with the Trocars and killed a couple deer with them. Only reason being is they reminded of an old Rocky Mountain broad head design from back in the day. Some good and bad points on them. The good...they seem to group excellent, maybe because of the offset blades that create a helical I don't know...but the shoot very well. They are also quite in flight. Both deer I killed were pass throughout, one died in sight and the other had typical blood trail for about 125 yards. Both double lung shots from tree stands.
    The bad on the Trocars. They are a one a done head for two reasons. First reason being that the tiny set screw gets gummed up and it's almost impossible to change the blades. One out of three willstrip right out and the time it take for a blade replacement with that in mind....forget it. This isn't insurmountable because honest you can replace the whole head for almost the cost the blades..... However the second reason they one and done is even though the ferrule is steel really isn't that strong, and solid hit and they don't spin true. They blade retention has weak points as well as I have seen a few sheared blades in solid impact tests. Lastly the blade offset really tears the hell out of your broad head targets and makes some removals a pain in the ***....

So in short I wouldn't be afraid to use Trocars but I would limit it to smallish thin skinned game like deer and lopes.... My first choice in heads...no but serviceable.

I don't have much experience with MX series except for when they first came out. I bought a couple package and upon putting them together I thought the tolerances sucked. Several of the ferrels had slight wobbles when rolled on bearings and I had to play with point alignments to get them satisfactory. I refused to use them. I had been told that all was during early production and since corrected.....well I am not giving them a second chance....to many better made heads on the market.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  5. justhunt

justhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put two Trocars through an elk at about 35 yards. First shot hit chest and came out back leg. Second right through her chest. These were deep six shafts. Won't use anything else for elk.