Hunter sign-in/check-in. Public land - IL

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by hcarturo, Aug 1, 2015.

1. hcarturo

hcarturo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys,

I'm looking into going on my 1st bow hunt this coming Oct. (opening day/weekend) in IL. The area I'm looking at is public ground and has a hunter quota where people need to sign-in/out on a 1st come 1st serve basis.

What would u all say is the rule here as far as checking-in? Do people camp out and form a line during the early morning hours or what?? Just want some clarification on how this checking-in thing works. Especially since less than 25 hunters are allowed. I'm assuming arriving between an hour or 2 earlier than shooting light is ok...

Thanks,

2. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doubt opening weekend or October for that matter you'll have any problem getting in. I hunt public as well and never seems to be full in early season

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

3. hcarturo

hcarturo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Though it would the opposite. Thanks mac

4. Il_public_land_hunter

Il_public_land_hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would double check the hunter fact sheet on the area you plan on hunting. Most areas have rules about no camping and some have rules about not showing up any earlier than 2hrs prior to shooting time.

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Curious where you are hunting? I used to hunt a lot of public land and never had an issue and rarely ever ran into another hunter even at the check in station.

6. hcarturo

hcarturo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking of going to Franklin Creek SNA. Please don't try to beat me to it! lol

7. macsolocam

Dislikes Received:
    I think you'll be fine there, with only 800 acres doubt you'll run into anyone opening weekend. You going to prescout at all or go in blind?

8. hcarturo

hcarturo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I scouted some of the land back in March, but that was before I found the hunter fact sheet with the different hunting zones allowed (newbie hunter in IL). I will need to go back and scout/walk around very soon end of Aug I hope. There are some areas closed to hunting (picnic, campgrounds areas etc) so I need to aware of this.

Btw, how do I enable my profile/settings to receive notifications once someone replies to this thread?? Can't seem to get it to work right

9. macsolocam

Dislikes Received:
    I use an app that helps me "subscribe" to the thread... but on my laptop unless someone quotes me in it I probably won't see it. I'm relatively new as well on here so I haven't figured it all out.

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk