Getting Nervous........How late is too late???

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by atlasman, Aug 1, 2015.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have planted for years now and have had nothing but outstanding results. This year it has rained all year so much so that I had trouble cutting my grass at home more days then not.

Of course we planted July 21st and it hasn't rained since. Our plots are sandboxes with nothing growing as of today.

My two issues are.........is our seed still viable or did it sprout and get smoked by 11 days of 80-90 degrees and no moisture??

What is the point of no return to plant brassicas in northeast (NY)?

Right now my plan is to hope it rains and keep our fingers crossed but if we get some rain and nothing comes up what is our deadline to replant for brassicas to be up for this year?

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    not sure of the climate whereyou are at but here in NW MN, i would not plant them past about aug 10th.

3. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    60 days before the first frost is your window..check the farmers almanac and see what the average first frost date is. Get it in 60 days before that and you will be golden

4. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in central michigan and I planted a plot of tillage radishes last year on labor day and they turned out decent. not huge but decent, the deer hammered away at the plot from September through march. I would say if your replanting i would try and have it done by august 15th

5. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    We are screwed this year I think. It hasn't rained a drop since we planted on July 21st and no rain in forecast until next week at earliest. We will be lucky if we can even see any germination by almost week 3 of August.

I think our only hope now is something grows from the seeds we've already broadcast. If not I fear it will be too late to replant in time for any reasonable results.

Multiple shooting houses over 5-6 acres of perfect plots may be about to go to waste.

6. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't freakin believe how much it has rained this year and the day we pick to plant starts a month long draught.

If I wasn't so familiar with my luck over my entire life I would say this was unbelievable.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Join the crowd bud...exactly the same thing here. Rain in the forecast but it ain't doin squat.

8. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    It wouldn't be so bad except it's been one of the wettest years up until we planted. We were laughing about our stuff maybe getting drowned this year or washed away. It even rained the day we planted for a bit. Then our seed hit the ground and everything dried up like a desert. You can't even make silliness like this up as no one would believe it.

9. soccercody14

soccercody14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same here bud I know. If something doesn't grow I wasted a lot of money on plots.

10. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    SAME HERE....NORTHERN WISCONSIN. what a bunch of garbage. this happened to me last year and my turnip/brassica plots turned out terrible. i'll be very depressed if they fail this year again as that will be 2 years of a lot of time and money on fertilizer and seed

11. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would broadcast over the top just before the next rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup same here. the only thing I could think of doing is planting something that grows like a weed like Buck forage oats. But then again, don't deer usually only eat oats during the summer and then move on to other crops? What about some type of wheat? doesn't that grow in almost anything?