LEFTIES - Best Setups/Accessories for Left Handers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Stray, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Stray

Stray Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Curious to know what all the left handers are using as setups. What are the best sights, quivers, and bow setups out there and what bows do you guys have? Hoping to get a variety of opinions on past setups and some knowledge of some of the successful left handed hunters are doing.

I'll start first with the setup I'm using. This year is going to be my first year bowhunting (spent a decade gun hunting) here in Missouri. I'm new to the game but I've wanted to get into the bow portion of whitetail season for a long time now.

Current setup is a Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT. Sight: Found that the only left hand specific was the Trophy Ridge React 5-pin. I believe there was one other from Axion Archery if I remember correctly but selection was pretty limited. Many sights were the "universal" type where you just flip it over to the right side of the bow. However, I didn't like the setups on these because it puts the level bubble on the top of the sight. Arrow rest: I considered using a whisker biscuit since it is pretty popular and easy to find one that fits left hand. I had a NAP Apache drop away on my old Hoyt and it worked well. After going to the Carbon Matrix, my goal was to keep weight down and the Apache is a little heavy. Opted for the Trophy Ridge HX drop away, left hand specific. This was the only choice since NAP does not make the Apache carbon drop away in a left hand model. The HX is limb driven and offers full containment at full draw or you can manually activate containment before you draw. Pretty cool feature. Quiver: I ended up with a TruGlo Carbon XS quiver, reverse mounted. The quiver did not come with the right screws for the left hand setup so I had to have the local pro shop find me some. I made the quiver work but clearly it was not really meant to be mounted on a left handed bow. I looked at the Tight Spot left handed (best one in my opinion, but pricey at $140). Stabilizer: I started off with 6" B-stinger but later upgraded to an 8" Carbon Blade.

So far this setup is drilling 4" groups at 60yds. It's probably not the best but it works for me and is comfortable. The sight is beyond fantastic and I've been impressed with the trophy ridge products. And the TruGlo is a decent choice for quiver if you're not wanting to spend more than $60 on it.

That's what works for me so I'm interested to hear what works for you guys as well

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a lefty and don't think you are that limited on selection. . The only 2 items that are often left handed specific are sights and rests. I don't have any problems finding either. Ripcord & QAD make great drop away rest in the left handed variant. NAP left hand selection is limited. There is a wide selection of left handed compatible sights. Right now I use the HHA Optimizer King Pin and love it.

3. DarkTimber

DarkTimber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Purchasing online or purchasing through an Archery Pro shop makes it easy to find lefties accessories.

Sight: Montana Black Gold Ascent 5 pin on 4" dovetail. Custom sight purchased from sandsarchery.com which is cheaper than purchasing directly from MBG. Steve was a great help with customizing my sight. This is a true lefties. Level Bubble is on bottom.

Rest: QAD HDX

Quiver: TightSpot

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All you backwards shooters :bow: LOL

5. Stray

Stray Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We prefer to be called wrong-handers! :bash:

6. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "correct handed"

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you walk into an archery shop and expect to get exactly what you want and buy it that day, yes, sometimes if feels limited. Whatever you want can be ordered or bought online.

At one of my favorite archery shops, almost all the employees there shoot left handed. They know what its like to not find what you are looking for because of being LH and will order whatever you want quickly because they know our pain!

8. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I`m lefty as well, ditto what Heckler said!!

9. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a QAD on mine and a IQ sight. I had a good selection to choose from.