Crossfit is helping me be a better archer.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by doublehelix8, Jul 31, 2015.

1. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am always looking to improve my archery skills. Anything I can do to give me an edge. I am a small but strong female archer. I pull a #50 draw but always feel like I could improve. When I say improved I don't mean pull a larger poundage. I mean overall improvement. I could always have better accuracy, hold my bow more steady, hold my bow back longer, be mentally tougher. I am always looking for ways to be better at bowhunting. I hunt alone 99% of the time. I have actually only been out with someone else once. Last year I had to pull all three of my deer out alone and it was a challenge. This year I wanted to be ready in all aspects. I joined a Crossfit gym and it has not disappointed.

I joined 3 months ago and I have seen so many amazing changes. I feel so much more confident when I shoot now. I have noticed that my pin holds more steady and my groups are a lot tighter. I can climb up my climbing sticks with easy now. I can hang a set without feeling like I fighting the stand onto the tree. I have been clearing small wooded plots with hand tools for hours and don't feel like a puddle of jell-o anymore. I am so excited for what this season is going to bring and I can't wait to get started.

What do you guys do to improve physical fitness for your bowhunting?

2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jazzercise.

3. doublehelix8

Dislikes Received:
    Jazz hands included?

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need to lose about 25lbs. But with my bad back and bad right bicep I am finding it very difficult. I have managed to lose about 5 just by eating better so that's a start.

I am not ready to become a "crossfit crazy" as my wife calls them. I used to be a power lifter and got way to involved in lifting for a lot of years and that is what ruined my back (pushed too hard to hit certain numbers like a dumb...). So I am being very careful about what I do now. Mostly daily walks and better diet for a start.

5. doublehelix8

Dislikes Received:
    Some crossfitters are crazy and give the sport a bad name but thankfully our gym is really down to earth. We are just about being healthier people. As long as you are doing something you will see progress!

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My career is in the fitness field; exercise is a daily thing for me. If not in the gym, than I stay active at home.

7. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I push my twins in a stroller roughly 3 miles a few times a week up and down the hills/roads by our house....:sheep:

and a few 12 oz curls on the other days.

Good for you tho getting more fit!

8. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I run at least 2 miles every day, but I need to ramp that up.

9. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you hauled out three deer last year I'd recommend you break out a beer, relax, and not worry about it. Since I'm not there yet I do dumbbell arm and shoulder exercises 3 days a week, legs and stomach workout 2 days a week, jump rope, heavy bag, and a machine called the Jacobs ladder that gets my heart rate up to 140 pretty quick while being easy on the joints five days a week. have it down to a system so only takes 30-45 minutes in the morning before work. then do a couple quick rotator cuff exercises before bed each night. Plus try to shoot a dozen arrows five days a week at lunch time. sounds more complicated than it is. the key for me is to try to increase a little weight each week to keep advancing.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yea, and congrats on picking a very fine broad head and arrow rest....

11. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your doing great! Good luck this season.

12. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Crossfit sounds to intense for me. Basketball is enough for this guy. I really need to build my stamina up :lol:

13. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I have crazy crossfit neighbors who say the same thing. Injury from over exertion is quite common for crossfitters. Be careful and good luck