Looking to purchase a Trailcam

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rtolliver, Jul 29, 2015.

1. rtolliver

rtolliver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Help me out fellas and ladies, my trailcams are getting slightly dated and I'm ready to purchase a couple new ones. What are your thoughts? I need them to last 30 days.

Thanks!

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been loving my G series Stealth Cams :tu:

3. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like my two Stealth Cam NG42s. I have heard some people say that they like to eat batteries. My battery life hasn't been the best I've seen but it isn't bad (5k pics give or take). I use to swear by Moultrie until their 2014 cams had tons of issues with them. I am finding the urge to try a Moultrie Gen 2 though. A lot depends on how much you are willing to spend. You can get pretty decent cams for $120-150.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of really really good cams out there on the market now, we're a long ways down the road from the crappy stuff that used to be everywhere, now it's pretty much the other way around. Easier to list the few that suck as they are few and far between.

I love my Moultries and my Stealth Cam G42's...I have gotten to where I always search through all my cams looking for the G42s because I like them that much. Coverts are generally decent...If I were to try something I've not had it would be the Browning cams.

Cams I'd shy away from would be the Primos cams and the Bushnell cams and probably the generic cams that are all over the place. I've never owned any of the generic china made cams but I've had Primos and Bushnells and both had a high degree of suckage...poor quality pics or reliability issues on the Bushnells and they are pricey for the trouble. Though I will say both of the brands I tried were fairly old. A site I like is www.trailcampro.com/primosproofcam03review.aspx and I see they are giving the 2015 primos cams some darn high reviews.

I'd probably give a few of the generic $80-$100 12mp cameras a go, Amazon has a ton of them. If they are truly 12mp, they are cheap to try for that MP range. I wouldn't try them if I had only those to rely on.

My top camera I'd like to try would be the more top end Brownings. My top recommended camera I run is the Stealth Cam G42NG, my least favorite I own is the Covert MP8 black but it's not terrible, battery life is good.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  5. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like my browning strike force hd cams ($116)

6. zlr1980

zlr1980 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like mine too!

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, feel free to post some pics from your brownings, I'm sure we'd all love to see them. I don't recall seeing very many posted but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a Stealth Cam G42 and a Covert mp6 black in the last year.

Like the G42 10x better. I would recommend that or I know a lot of people like the G30s which will be my next cam.

9. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The least expensive but very nice cams I would have to say would be the Bushnells and the Browning strike force cameras. I don't have any of the Browning cams but based on the reviews they seem to be a fantastic camera for the money. I'm currently running 2 Bushnells ( 2011 trophy cam, and a 2013 black flash) Both have worked flawlessly.If your budget is lower, I would definatley check the Brownings out.

Definitely check out www.trailcampro.com

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks bud, those look great. I recall seeing the middle pic posted the other day now, I hadn't paid any attention to the brand of the camera. They don't stick a big huge fn logo in the corner of the fram like Moultrie and Stealthcam, lol.

I just pulled cards and changed batts in my camera here at home. I realized the batts in my Covert MP8 were still from last august's change...best battery life ever. I have to hand it to Covert on that camera's battery usage...wow. Of course that camera is the lowest traffic camera I have out, it normally only gets 3-500 per week sometimes lower but never higher but still it kept those all throughout winter...pretty damn amazing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  12. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I posted a few..

[​IMG]

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah, I recall seeing your stellar pics and that one for sure. Like I said, it's hard to recall seeing pics from the Brownings because they don't stick a huge logo in the corner like the other companies (which is cool). You can't ask for cleaner, crisper pics than that...very nice! Makes me want to order a few of them...which model do you guys use?

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's my friends farm in Ohio. We had mostly Moultries and Bushnells until this year. Several became very unreliable so he found a deal on the Brownings so we decided to try them. So far they seem to be working well. I cannot comment on battery life yet as they have only been out less than a month.

15. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is the Strike Force

16. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also throwing my vote in here. I didn't have the HD , I had the 2014 strike force model. It broke down on me, and customer service was very efficient and friendly with handling my warranty claim. They're sending me a new HD to replace the one that went bad. Good customer service is a bonus in my book!

I'll post pics when I get it hung.

17. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The new primos are a lot better, if you have the money Reconyx is the best:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ngabowhunter

ngabowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like my browning strike force also

19. zlr1980

zlr1980 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a night pic from my browning from last fall I must have deleted most of my pics

Attached Files:

20. lukegreenslade3

lukegreenslade3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Stealth Cam all the way