Safety harness help?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Jul 29, 2015.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never wore a safety harness, although it's probably about time with a couple kids and all. Figure if I buy one I might use it.

Have my eye on this new Muddy Diamondback. Anyone have one or have any thoughts on this? Seems simple and streamlined.

Thoughts welcome.

YOUTUBE video ------> https://youtu.be/3tsIZwI96II

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In my personal experience I don't like the "Figure 8" type harnesses. When you're standing up or walking they are fine as the harness is held in place by the distance between your shoulder and your crotch. However when you sit down that distance shrinks dramatically and the leg loops become slack. The next time you stand up those loops have a tendency to hang up on your stand seat or get caught up in your pants. The one year I wore this type of harness I spent more time adjusting it and monkeying with it in the stand than I did hunting.

Having used the original Muddy harness for several years, the Tree Spider and now several iterations of the HSS harnesses I will say the most versatile, comfortable and easy to use is the HSS followed by the Muddy and then the Spider (the Diamondback is really just a Tree Spider rip-off).

Just my .02. Any of these harnesses is certainly better than wearing nothing at all.

3. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That one looks like it will do the job. Also looks easy to put on and take off.

4. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a HSS harness. It's very comfy and very easy to put on. Great investment!

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple of HSS Ultralite harness and they are very comfortable!

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a Muddy Safeguard for several years. I love it. I do not like the vest type, especially in warm weather it's another layer I do not want. I find the Muddy very comfortable and it is very light.

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is the way I am trending. I tried on a friends HSS ultralite today, it was a good bit to big for me but gave me a solid understanding of it's design.

Seems simple and to the point. No extra stuff like bino clips and such I would never use.

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you experience the bunching Mr Zarr mentioned above?

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Safeguard is a little different than the one you posted, the Safeguard has a waste strap. I have not experienced what Justin talks about with this one but have with other styles in the past.

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Correct. I never had that issue with the Safeguard either. My only knock on the Safeguard is having to thread the leg straps through the cams when putting it on. In the dark or with gloves on it could be a bit of a pain. The HSS buckles I believe are easier to operate.

11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at the diamond back also. This year I'm just going to put up with the cheap ones that you get free with a new stand. It's a pain but they work.

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Black Diamond Vario speed harness.......

13. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been using the Muddy Safeguard for a couple years now. The only complaint I have is, Like Justin said, it's a pain in the arse to thread the leg straps in the dark and with heavier gloves on. I had a HSS Ultra light before the Safeguard. I used it for a season and sold it to buy the Safeguard. I found that the shoulder straps would tend to slip down off of my shoulder at times with the HSS. The Muddy had the second chest strap that held the straps in place. I have not tried any of the new models from either of the two this year, but will be in the market for an upgrade soon.

14. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Muddy harness, simple, cool in hot weather, it does everything I need.

15. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  16. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought an HSS bowhunter harness last winter on sale after season was over and threw it in the garage. I was packing up some equipment for a job yesterday morning and had a few minutes to kill while I was waiting on my co-worker to arrive to go onsite and took it out of the package. I had the harness on in less than a minute. The buckles are very easy to use.

I've never used an aftermarket harness before. I've always struggled along with the standard issue harnesses that come with stands. No more, thankfully! Sometimes on particularly groggy mornings in the dark it has taken me 15 minutes to figure the damned things out, especially if they're all tangled up.

Best $35 in hunting equipment I invested this year - they are normally about $50 from major retailers and certainly worth that and affordable at full price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got the outfitter Spider web last year. Easy to put on, no bunching of harness, or trying to figure out what is what in the dark. Awesome. Plus it has all the benefits of bibs. One stop shop.

18. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to get an ultralight. It's about time I start wearing one. Really the only time I get nervous even with a climber is when I've got an hour before shooting light and my head wants to nod even though it can happen anytime. Thankful for this forum and threads like this.

19. DEdestroyer350

DEdestroyer350 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Spider pants Harness looks pretty sweet, but I didn't wanna shell out the money for it... I originally had the HSS Treestalker and it was ok but not very comfortable so last year I bought the HSS Hybrid and absolutely love it! It has the ease of the Ultralight but also has nice sized pockets that Are Not bulky at all and are easy to get in and out of, it's perfect for me.. And I just saw in Cabelas today that Muddy makes one that is almost identical to it if you like them better than HSS

20. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Another HHS ultralight fan here, I have used different types over the years, this is by far the most comfortable and easy to use harness imo .