Converting your home to solar power

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by mobow, Jul 28, 2015.

1. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all. I've been giving some long thought to converting my home electricity to solar power. I would want to utilize an "in grid" system, remaining attached to the power grid. I'm really just beginning this process, and of course the biggest factor is cost. I'm looking for a rough idea of the cost involved to have this system installed. I've done some google searching and can't find anything very recent.

Also, if any of you have done this, do you like it? Advantages? Disadvantages?

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have been researching alternate power quite a bit. We have looked at a doing a combination of a small wind turbine and solar. Wind is better in the winter and solar is better in the summer. I can't help but think how long it would take to recover the upfront costs. Seems like being green isn't cost friendly.

3. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My cousin has solar on his house. I know it wasn't cheap but he's an electrical engineer so he is into that stuff. His dad, my uncle, also has wind and solar on almost all of his hog building. They love it. In the winter the snow will decrease efficiency of the solar and they need to be cleaned after is snows. He did had one of the wind towers break in extremely high winds and cold temps last winter. Other then that he says they are a great investment.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's generally the point of the whole thing. They're going to make sure that they get your money one way or another.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just can't seem to justify the cost. I use on average about $50 of electricity a month. I would probably start small, with solar powered Attic vents and AC unit before trying to cover the complete load.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just don't see the cost vs. reward being worth the initial investment in solar power. Not to mention the loss of acreage and the just plain ugliness they add. I know there were some huge government rebates being handed out in that last few years to help offset the initial investment, but I don't think that's still happening( I could be wrong).

What happens the first time you have quarter sized hail on those solar panels? My guess is that it won't be good. Then your looking at making an insurance claim to repair which will end up costing you in insurance premiums.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

How can your bill be that low? My home in mo,is all electric 150.00 per month easy. My New house is gas/electric and I still have 150-200 dollars a month bill.

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We rarely break $100.00 per month in electricity and that's with two window ACs going, three freezers, a fridge, a pool pump, lights and brooder lamps for the chicks. :)

But if there was ever a place for solar, this is about as good as it gets. We have friends that are completely off grid with only eight panels and they usually have the battery bank recharged by 10 am. (keep in mind that they have a fridge that is battery power friendly) They use a propane generator on the cloudy days. They had a wind turbine but the maintenance on it made it a losing battle.

Edit: I'm not sure we even get up to $100.00. (our utility bill comes from town and has gas/electric/water/garbage all in one) Last month's electric charge was $63.00. That was the HOT month. I thought the freezers (which are outside) and the ACs would have used more electricity. This makes me happy. :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  10. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How big is your house? Mine isn't overly large about 1200 sq. ft. My total bill is anywhere from $100 - $250/mo for both Gas and electric. But the Electric portion averages in the $50 range. My heat and hot water are both gas.

11. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have about 1,100 sq. ft. and our electric bill averages $36/month. We don't have A/C. You don't need it in Michigan. Our gas bill (heating and water heater and dryer) is $56 a month right now. That's on a budget plan so we pay the same each month, winter or summer.

Solar is not a good bet here in Michigan.

12. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a buddy do this a couple years back when the huge rebates were in full effect... I don't think he paid much if anything out of pocket for his, and he's got one whole side of his roof covered with panels. He's on-grid too, and he says that Ameren has to send HIM a check for anywhere from $20-50 every month because he's making enough electricity that he actually helps power his neighborhood to some extent...

My wife has been interested in the concept from time to time (as our electric bill is pretty high -- somewhere around $250-300 each month), but I just can't see putting those ugly things on my metal roof... :( Or out in the yard taking up valuable space out there either...

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your bill sounds like ours! Am I the only one that doesn't think solar panels are ugly?

14. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I DID consider getting one for the treehouse though... but it's in a full-fledged forest where I built it and it was just easier to trench a line back to our house and run direct power to it.

15. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One house is 3400 and the other is 2000+ pool house 750 and 20,000 gall0n In ground pool hot summers and cold winters

16. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most people install them on a 5 yr/10 yr lease with a $1 buyout. The installation company owns them and does all maintenance and repair during this time. They will also guarantee that they save money or your money back. My inlaws did this up in the Adirondacks and have been very happy with them.

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received: