Beginner bow for Wife

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jemcmichael, Jul 28, 2015.

1. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all, I got married July 3 and my wife has recently expressed interest in shooting with me. Of course, I'm ecstatic about this! I'd like to find her a bow for under $200 to see if she enjoys it. I'm thinking used is going to be the way to go.

Does anyone have any insight into older youth or women's Bows that were really good? Maybe five years old that I can pick up off eBay? I'm thinking 40# is going to be her draw weight at max.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check into Diamond bows. The infinite edge is a pretty awesome bow for beginners and I'm sure you can find a used one. They weight can change from 5-70 # on the newer models. I have the model from 4 years ago and it can change from 35-60. It was my first bow and I am still using it (going to upgrade this winter). I have killed 5 deer and several rabbits with it.

3. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Is that the Razor Edge? The Infinite Edge is a bit more than I want to pay if I'm not sure she'll take to it

4. doublehelix8

Dislikes Received:
    I have the razor edge and love it. I would assume you could find one for around 200. If I was to sell mine I wouldn't expect to get more than 200.

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i WOULD NOT buy a bow off ebay.
    to get her started right, she will need to find a bow that fits her real well. the best way to turn a newbie off is to get them something they don't like.

6. doublehelix8

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! My local bow shop has tons of used bows, I guess most bow shops should have used ones she can check out.

7. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We bought my wife a diamond at bass pro new I wanna say it was less than $400 you should be able to buy a used one for your $200 price, my wife has now upgraded to the Hoyt nitrum vixen package lol it gets expensive when your buying two bows two sets of arrows ect. But it's awesome she loves it and hunting good luck to ya.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, but do you want somebody picking your bow out for you? She needs to find a bow she likes and is comfortable shooting. You can lend some advice but she really needs to pick her own bow if you have any hope she will enjoy shooting and stick with it.

My wife has a PSE Chaos AD and loves it. It adjust from 18-28" and 20-50lbs I think. But I did not just pick it out and say "shoot this". In my opinion this is why so many women do not like shooting, their bow is a poor fit for them.

9. MNBowBender

MNBowBender Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got my girlfriend her first bow last weekend. She shot a couple Missions and then the carbon rose by bowtech. She fell in love with the rose and shot it really well the little bit extra $$$ was worth her comfort and confidence. I know you always want to set some what of a budget but when you are first introducing someone to archery it is essential for them to be properly set up from the get go

10. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Well my first two bows were hand me downs. Once I knew I loved shooting I went from there and hand picked my bows. That's all I'm looking to do here. Unfortunately, we don't have many shops around here that sell used. Clearly that would be the best. I'll call around, but I'm not to hopeful about that route.

11. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife shoots a mission craze. She says she never wanted to hunt but she enjoys shooting with me while I practice. I would think you could find a used craze for a reasonable price. My wife can only pull about 20 pounds so that might be something you want to look into before buying a bow that might not go to low enough pounds. Best of luck and congrats.

12. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you're willing to buy a new one check out mission. Maybe you can find a used one if you look on Craigslist. I can find a couple but everyone thinks they need what they paid.