Which size feathers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jody5252, Jul 27, 2015.

1. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings. I currently shoot 4" shield cut feathers on my 400 FMJ's, with 125gr. fixed blade heads. (50 lb. bow) I have used only feathers and fixed blade heads, for over 30 yrs. (Bear and Magnus stingers) However, I have been hearing a lot about the 2" Razyr feathers. Do they really make a difference? Will they stabilize my arrows, with the type/size of the heads that I use? I fletch my own arrows on a Bitz jig. Will the 2 degree (standard clamp with the bitz) have enough helical, or will I have to use 3 degree helical, on a different jig? Any other info. will be helpful... Thanks, J.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    Good questions! I believe you are meaning vanes, not feathers, correct?
    I'm going to follow this thread, as I had the same questions.

Good luck
    MOBU

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the 2" Razyr feathers. They are noisy down range, but I got excellent fixed blade flight with them. I ended up using Blazers because of the noise, but all feathers are noisier in my opinion so you probably wouldn't mind it.

Yes that is purple. I made the mistake of letting my niece pick my arrow colors last year :) .

[​IMG]

4. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No... Feathers.

5. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    don't know about feathers, but with vains.. the blazers with a 3 deg helical end up more like just an offset fletch... they will spin the arrow but not near as well as 4" with helical... would guess the feathers will be about the same.. I switched from blazers to 4" this past summer and my groups halved over night... I'll never go back to 2" again..

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My results are the exact opposite. I get the best groups with Blazers than 3" or 4" vanes or 2", 3", or 4" feathers. 2" Razyr's were second best. I fletch the short vanes and feathers with my AZ EZ Fletch mini and it puts a lot of helical on though.

7. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used 2 inch razrs for several years and with helical they provided more than enough stabilization for fixed blade broad heads. prefer them over vanes and longer feathers. whether 2 degree is enough for you I couldn't say. recommend fletching a few and see how they fly for you. I expect they will do fine. good luck with it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015