Mock Scrapes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by PaTreeAssassin, Jul 27, 2015.

1. PaTreeAssassin

PaTreeAssassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know there is a very knowledgeable thread but it is very long and is filled with a lot of information. I have just a few questions. I seen where people say to pee in mock scrapes, does that work for big mature bucks? Also, if you were to make a scrape now would you use just buck urine, or buck and doe. I seen where some people use just a buck to introduce yourself as a new buck in the area. I also seen where people use both buck and doe for a community scrape. I just want some more one on one information. Maybe we can use this thread as an individualized thread to answer questions and help one another. Any information will help.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have not already check out the last BHOD podcast. I personally would not pee in a scrape but then again whats the chances the bottled stuff is really deer and if it is whats the shelve life. Back to the podcast this year i am going to try the mock scrapes earlier than later.

3. PaTreeAssassin

Dislikes Received:
    Well im thinking about it too but my issue is that when I used to use them I noticed my deer activity on cameras declined.

4. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have urinated in mock scrapes just to see if it would work and it did .Now i do it every year and have tons of pictures to prove it. But there's a chance that you could just make a mock scrape and some bucks might see it and start using it and once bucks start using it they maintain the scent for you.I believe it's all about having it in the right spot for making a community scrape if it's the wrong spot it won't matter what scent you use.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard that if you make a Mock Scrape up too early, the deer will get scared. Don't know if its true though...:confused:

6. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer have scrapes 365, I wouldn't try any doe in estrous or anything like that in a scrape this time of year tho.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I started a Mock Scrape last week to see what effect it would have. I will know this week when check the cam.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last fall it took almost a month and a half for them to use my mock scrape but when they started it was constant action.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

9. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not reallly. if youre area has bucks that dont scrape around that area. there more less interested than being scared. if youre in an area that bucks are known to scrape alot. theyll be a little interested but not as much compared to the rut

10. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    UPDATE!!
    I started a Mock Scrape at hunting property #2 on 8/5. As many of you know I have a really nice buck I am after there. I was nervous about how it would affect the deer. I normally get about 5-8 pics of this buck over a 7 day period. I only got 2 of him in the daytime so far. Well after starting the Mock Scrape I got over 400 pics of him in 7 days!! He showed up 6 of the 7 days since I started the Mock scrape. I am a Believer Now!!!

You can see the Tink's Dripper in the top of the pic!!

[​IMG]

11. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's how it's done! Did you just make a scrape or did you set up a licking branch too?

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What's all over the ground there??

I have urinated in scrapes and mock scrapes for years and will continue to do so. If I am hunting near one I will often use a bottle on stand to hold it until I can empty it into the scrape after hunting too. I have had many times where I just have doctored the scrape and a couple hours later a good buck is in there checking it out. Most often these mock scrapes get taken over in a couple weeks.

Now when I doctor up a scrape pre-season I use both my urine, if I have to go, and commercial scents like Buck Fever Synthetics and/or Tinks Power Scrape. I really think the BF Forehead Gland spray is one of the better things to add to your mock scrape. In the past I used to spray the urine type scrape sprays onto the overhanging branches, trying to get the scent up in the air more. Now I believe that it's too unnatural to have it up there and not a good thing to do if they can actually reach the smell. A scrape dripper that the deer cannot get to is a good idea but that is also one thing that I would take extra care in hanging as I don't want my body touching the overhanging branch in any way, no matter how good my scent control is. Often with those I have found that using a long branch that I can tie the dripper to and then wedge it or tie the branch in place well above the overhanging limb makes things easier. When I need to re-fill it it isn't hard to lower the branch out of the way to get to the bottle and then reposition it after.

I should say that I have never actually shot a good buck out of one of my scrapes. I've had plenty of opportunities at small bucks over the years but not a big boy. Trail camera pictures show that I am on the right track though. So that goes to show I still have plenty to learn.

13. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started a few in a heavily trafficked area a couple weeks back, using advice from tcgooroo, and I had a lot of pictures from both bucks and does. Just no mature bucks yet.

14. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    Just a scrape. I cleared the ground in a circle about 2-3 feet across directly under the scrape dripper.

15. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    That is corn on the ground. When I put out corn, I spread or broadcast it over a 20-25 yard area. I NEVER put it in a pile. Deer are browser by nature and this just makes more sense to me.
    I wear rubber gloves when I am hanging my Scrape Drippers. I always look for a branch that is sturdy enough for me to tie it to. I am like you I don't spray it on overhanging branches. Once it is hung, I drip some in the scrape below. I used Buck Fever Synthetic last year in October before the pre-Rut and it worked for me. I used Tink's Power Scrape Mock Scrape Starter to set this one up. Once the pre-Rut and Rut kicks in, I also use my urine as well as buck urine to freshen my scrapes. Thanks for the tip about BF Forehead Gland. When should I start using it?

16. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never herd of some one putting corn over a mock scrape. Don't think you get the idea of a mock scrape.

17. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    WOW!! Really? Ok let me break this down.....I didn't put corn over a mock scrape. I started the Mock Scrape in an area just below where I am spreading out corn. See the pic? :poke:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  18. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    heck of a deer Sam.

19. PaTreeAssassin

Dislikes Received:
    Where can I get forehand gland at I don't see that on the market as much.

20. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    been using Smokeys stuff. little expensive but works awesome. best I've used yet. about $30 for a little bottle. deer love it! ordered it online.