UTV Discussion

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Heckler, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So in search for a tractor (Thread in Food Plots) I stopped by the dealership the other day and they just so happen to be a Polaris dealership as well. They were running some pretty good sales. I was looking at the new 570s. If you were to buy a new UTV would you buy a mid or full size? and why? I see benefits to both but wanted everyone else take on it.

The only down side I could find with a full vs. a mid size is I would be stuck trailering it everywhere vs. being able to load it in the back of the pickup. And yes I have seen crazy guys load the full size in the pickup and I don't see doing that with a new truck. lol!

The extra capacity, specifically up front for an extra person (kids) certainly would be a benefit to me. Assuming you wanted to use it more then just around the house what would you go with.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have two Polaris 800 crews on the ranch...I have a lot of respect for them, they do very well. That said, do yourself a favor and look closely at the new Kawasaki Mules with the transformer beds and just consider getting used to pulling a small trailer. A small trailer handles better than a truck with a big machine in the bed and it's better on your suspension and easier/safer to load.

The new Mules are almost as far advanced over the Rangers as the Ranger was the old Mule. I drove a Mule a while back and wished I'd waited until they came out before I worked the deal I made on the Rangers.

One more thing, the rangers cooling system sucks. The radiator sits up front where it catches all kinds of grass and weed seed and it'll overheat in nothing flat in the summer if you don't keep it washed out very very often.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what you want to do with it.
    :)

There are atvs and UTVs all over the place out here. All sizes and shapes.

Here's my rancher 350 next to a polaris 1000. Dang!

[​IMG]

We will probably be getting a Honda pioneer 500. It's a small side by side. Small. But it fits in the bed of the truck, down the skinny trails and the 50" max width restricted trails.

Pulling a trailer is a PITA for a good portion of where I want start trail riding, so the smaller size is the most important thing for me. (plus Honda quality and the 500 isn't too ridiculously expensive)

4. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    I'll also add that I've heard many times... If you buy a polaris, buy an extra belt and know how to replace it. ;)

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have to revisit the Mules. Last one I have drove was a 09 and it was a POS. It had absolutely no power.

6. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have never had a problem with our 700 ranger over hearing.

It would be hard for me to try something other than a ranger, but I would never get a 570. It your getting a tractor you will have the trailer anyway plus when your doing foodplots and work your truck will fill up other stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say the 2016 Pioneers look pretty sweet. Reminds a lot of a .... Surprised there isn't a copy cat lawsuit.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the old Mules were less than fantastic but they've really revamped them. Whatever you look at, be sure it has a high enough top speed on it, don't get stuck with something with a top speed of 25mph.

I don't know anything about the other Polaris models but these 800's radiator will plug with weed and grass seeds just right now.

9. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    My husband is soo going to want that pioneer 1000.

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should go by a kubota dealership and see if they will give you a package deal on a UTV, tractor and zero turn mower.

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like how you think Matt! My wife however doesn't..... Maybe they will be a Stihl dealer and I can get a new chain saw, pole saw, and clearing saw all at the same time. :) Heck maybe they will throw some of that in for "free". :p

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I gota say... I was drooling over this. I will say a machine like the Mule & Pionner with the convertible bed / seats seems like it is the most pratical for me with a family of 5.

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    The convertible beds are pretty nice. We have a pair of Mules too, one older crappy one and a newer red one that is improved but still slow and rough riding...both with convertible beds. The beds are the nicest features on them. Kawasaki did exactly what needed to be done with the new models, they are basically like an overpowered Ranger with a convertible bed and doors and a larger cooling system.

I can't find anything about top speed of the Pioneer.

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like the 2015 700-4 had a top speed of 45 MPH (ECU). I'd speculate that they moved that up a little on the 1000.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I just found that also, still looks like 45 and I think that's pretty much whats allowable for a SXS top end because they pretty much all program ECM cutoff at that. Must be a DMV regulation of some sort, probably a cutoff between recreational off road vehicles and highway legal machines or something. The old mules and the Kubotas topped out at 25 and that's just stupid slow. 45mph is okay....Should be some hack to get around it but I've never heard of anyone getting around it.

16. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like everyone side depends on what you want to do with it. But even though they cost more you can never go wrong with a Honda. We have a 300 that is a late 80"s model and still going strong. Only had to replace the starter this year. I need another one too but kinda want a small tractor just to cheap to buy either especially with 3 kids in college and a daughter getting married next year. :jaw:

17. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    The sport type side by sides out here go pretty fast. That polaris 1000 I parked next has no problem going over 70 mph.

But it couldn't make it down half the rough trails and even on the wide trails, you'd just end up dying in hurry if you try going over 30 mph. It's meant for different trails and the roads.

We have dunes to the west of us. (little Sahara) speed has it's place over there. But I hear the sand is tough on machinery so I don't go there. In fact, I was told, when looking for used atvs/UTVs don't even bother if it comes with paddle tires. :)

18. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well first do you want it for more play or work? I have a RZR 570 and so far its been great and I can say I haven't been easy on it at all. Just last weekend went and put close to 200 miles on it through the trails and for how I drove it was a test to see just how it will hold up. Only down side with it is the fact there isn't a whole lot of bed room. But I will be able to make due. 3 thing when I bought it. I can put it in the back of my truck. I can go have fun in it and not get the crap beat out of me like some of the utility ones would do. And $$$$$$
    I will say though the neighbor has a Kawasaki Terx which is kind of a cross between work and play. I have seen him beat the snot out of that thing every time he is on it and hasn't had any problems. That would be another one I would consider also.
    Stay away from Can-Am though buddies has been nothing but problems.
    [​IMG]

19. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you had it at silver lake yet Coh?

Good points about how it rides. I've been set on getting the 570 utility....but for the same price the Honda pioneer 700 looks like a better deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No haven't had it at silver lake, don't know if I will. Went up there a few years back with the truck and just got bored after a few hours. You can only climb the hills so many times until you get bored of the same thing. If a big group of my buddies are going for the weekend I may go but that's about it.
    Yeah it just all depends on what you want out of it. I wanted to be able to have fun with it when I want but can still use it for ice fishing and hunting no problem just cant haul as much in the bed.