Stabilizers?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So after i got my bow back from the shop. i didnt bother putting the stabilizer back on. I am not noticing a difference as far as shock dampening . it was the stabilizer that came on the bow. so i dont know if it just wasnt worth a crap. what i did notice is the bow doesnt tend to want to kick back when I shoot. it hold perfectly straight after each shot. I dont think i will be putting that stabilizer back on.

Has anyone shot there bow without a stabilizer. and what did you think.

2. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I got my reezen used it had a old cheap stabilizer on it. I took it off but then put it back on to help with holding in the wind. I didn't notice much of a difference besides weight.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stabilizers shorter than 10" don't do much actual stabilization. They may help with vibes or noise, but you won't notice much difference in your shooting using the shorter stabs. I like 6" stabs on my hunting bows but I recognize they really aren't doing a whole lot other than looks and holding my wrist strap on :) .

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    im not a big fan of the look of them. my lady calls them "bow penises". i dont use a wrist strap so that eliminates all need for my short stabilizer i guess. hahahahahaha.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like coop said, a sub 10" stab is completely useless for actually stabilizing. It's just for vibration. A good stabilizer with some forward weight will definitely help your hold and how the bow reacts at the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take it from someone who dropped his bow from 22 ft up in a tree.......get a wrist strap. You will also be able to shoot with better form

7. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry but that is just not true. You can shoot with an open grip and relaxed hand without a wrist strap.

8. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Yea. That's where I'm at on that. I've never dropped my recurve in 5 years, and never dropped my compound.

9. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard the 10" rule of thumb before but it doesn't completly match my experience.

I have a 7" stab and it made a noticible difference on two bows that I tried it on and didn't do a thing on another.

It seems that picking a stabilizer, or not using one at all is yet another trial and error and personal preference decision.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

10. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I'm crazy but I shoot a 15inch front bar and 12inch back bar on my htr both bee stinger . I'll hunt with that setup just a lot better if a shot with it. Yea it can get in the hiking it in but once you're in the tree you've got a 28inch arrow strapped to you anyway.

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

11. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with a 15 inch front bar too. The "it hangs up on things" excuse is total bs. Unless your shooting a super short arrow the arrow will stick out much farther.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think to some the hang up on brush is while walking in and out. I have a very long walk through some nasty thick stuff at some of my spots. I like compact stands for this reason. My bow is always catching on things as it is with a 6" stab. But really I don't use long stabs on my hunting bow because I don't see the need at the distances I hunt. Some do, some don't. I am one of the "don't want" group :) .

13. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I just pop mine off with a quick disconnect and throw it in my pack while walking through the woods.

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So if you encounter a deer you want to shoot while walking to your stand do you shoot without your stabilizer? In the last 30 years I have killed several deer on afternoon hunts before I even got to my stand, I can't imagine carrying my bow in non-ready to shoot condition.

15. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Meant to say "I'd just pop it off with a quick disconnect and throw it in my pack" I don't actual do that as all of my walks to stands are along trails/field edges and not through thick brush.

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ah that makes sense. I do agree using a quick disconnect is a good option. I doubt I will try a new stabilizer set up this season but I may give in and play with longer stabs/side bars over winter.

17. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I took my wrist strap off. It was just a bother. I use my thumb and finger to hold the bow. Just to not hijack, I do use a stabilizer; only 6 inches I don't want to impress.

RC