First year bowhunting any tips?

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Drew, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Drew

Drew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum and I'm really excited about finding this website. I'm new to deer hunting, I've always had an interest in it but just never done any of it until this fall!! I already have a Matthews Legacy bow and have been practicing with it. I am also running a trail camera on some property to see what kind of deer activity is there, I'm actually going tomorrow to check the camera. At fist it's kinda overwhelming trying to learn everything there is to learn and to get everything together, but it's also very exciting to! Would any of you guys out there have any tips that might help me out this fall?

Thanks

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely read through old posts on here and ask questions. Every hunting situation is different. Something that works for me may not work for you. So it's definitely trial and error and whatever you fell comfortable with. And most importantly don't get discouraged by not seeing or tagging huge bucks. Keep after it because any kill with a bow Is an accomplishment, no matter how big or small. Many will agree that an ol' doe is a harder kill than a buck.
    Enjoy the time in the woods and welcome.

3. Crossm2000

Crossm2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was the same way last year was my first year an i just wanted to learn every thing in my first year. The best thing to do is not to over think it. All you need to know is how to shoot your bow accurately were to shoot the deer and were you can break up your figure to get as close as possible to the deer. Also you can learn a fair amount of stuff from watching the bow hunt or die

4. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most of what I have learned has been through trial and error. I'm not the best at explaining but I like to use natural funnels to and from bedding and feeding areas or well used trails work fine too. During hot periods like beginning of season I like to be close to a water source or at least on a trail that leads to one. Also try to be a scent free as possible. I wash everything in scent free detergent but I think the dryer sheets help the most. I recommend dead down wind dryer sheets and any scent free soap will work fine. After you wash everything I dust my clothes and maybe my pack in activated carbon and remember to use a good scent free bag or bin to store your stuff. I plan on using the dead down wind wash towels and keeping an extra deodorant stick in the stand for early season so I don't get stinky and sweaty in the stand. Just a few tips that I have. You can also go check out Sean's outdoor adventures on YouTube. He has some good stuff on there.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The most important thing I can say is have fun with it after that makes sure you bow is tuned and you are shooting your best. If you have never had buck fever then be ready for it. Your pulse will quicken as well as your breathing. It ok but remember to focus on the shot.. You owe it to the animal to make an ethical shot so understand and know where the vitals are. You will learn something every time you go out if you pay attention. Good luck!!

6. Drew

Drew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for all your help and input. One question, what kinds of scents and lures do you use? Does it change depending on the time of year you hunt as well?

7. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really use scents besides doe urine for the bottom of my boots for cover scent

8. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site. There is a lot of great information here.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  10. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome drew my tip to you is the more you put in the more you get out

11. Drew

Drew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for all of the advice and input! Do you have any suggestions on how I should set up a trail camera for scouting? I put out some corn feed last week and put a camera on it but when I went and check it today I hadn't gotten any pictures and nothing had bothered the corn. I realize there is a lot of food in the woods this time of year so maybe that was some of the problem. Any suggestions?

12. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well drew this time of year corn fields are ripe if you have one nearby. They are probably hitting it. I would definitely move the camera near a corn or bean field or clover or alfalfa field if there is one nearby. Watch going into your hunting spot often. Every time you go into your spot, you are putting human scent in there. Even though season isn't in you are still hunting. Try to get as much done as you can when you walk in there in the off season(for ex. Hanging stands). When season gets a 1 to 2 months away, if I have to go into my hunting area for something I try to stay as scent free as possible. Dead down wind products is what I use for scent elimination and they do a good job..... as for scents and lures I normally use some kind of cover scent. If hunting from a tree stand coon urine is a good choice because raccoons climb trees. When the rut starts to get close, you can't beat doe in heat urine. Don't put it in the stand with you though. Put it on a scent wick hanging on a limb near one of your shooting lanes. A drag rag works great too. The rut is different depending on where you live. But anywhere in the Midwest those does start to come into heat in the first few days of November. Start using doe in heat urine around October 26 and use it til mid December. If you have any questions feel free to ask on here or me personally. Good luck to you

13. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just putting corn out won't bring them in... it needs to be close to a used trail that they can find it... also... try apples... more scent they can find, and they love the apples... as for your being new to bows... I'd suggest getting a lesson or two from a local pro at your shop... learn the right way, it's a lot easier then fixing bad habits later... and practice a lot... build up that confidence ya can make the shot before ya have to... field shooting at a live critter is a lot different then shooting at paper on the range

14. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    set up on a heavy trail and have patience, Good Luck

15. IABowHunter7

IABowHunter7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Most important thing is to always watch the wind.

16. Drew

Drew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is it correct that you always want to hunt downwind of where the deer are coming from?

17. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site!

18. Drew

Drew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys have any advice on the best and safest way to hang a tree stand?

19. RalphEwell

RalphEwell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    From my past experience I have lots of good as well as bad experiences but after using equipment from the online shop of Safford Sporting Goods I got more better experince and sucess as you are initilally starting bowhunting in my opinion this will help you a lot.

20. USAFBowhunter

USAFBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, one tip I was taught is practice, practice, practice!!