Hanging treestands in the rain

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by ruteger, Jul 26, 2015.

1. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  2. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    +1, I was the one to get my younger brother out of the woods as he wanted to hunt in the rain.
    When, I asked where is bow was at and his reply was, "F' the bow lets GO!"

26 years later, he's still upset at our Mom for making him wash up and change before we took him to the ER!

MOBU

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  3. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Even with lifeline or climbing belt you can still slip and fall a foot and catch below your jaw or your gut on a step or something and do serious damage. I almost ripped my nu?$ open by falling a couple feet when a screw in step gave way cause unknown to me the tree was rotted. I was young and dumb and should have inspected the tree better.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  4. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in the rain so hanging the stands in the rain to me isn't that much different. Just be extra careful and use the buddy system (and no screw in steps).

5. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Hanging stands in a light rain, provided you're being safe and using a lineman's belt, isn't an issue for me. I've done it plenty of times without issue. The key is knowing your limits and making sure you're using your equipment properly. I typically don't wear gloves when it's raining so I can have a better feel for what I'm doing.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't feel confident in their ability to do this safely.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now be honest...did you borrow a pair of Todd's goggles to keep rain out of your eyes though?

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    On a serious note though, I too love hanging stands in the rain for the scent benefits. However, I take me time even more so than if dry, so it does take longer but to me is worth it. I always try to do it with a buddy, but if not you can bet I got a lineman's belt, satchel as to never be holding anything while moving/climbing and I've text someone my exact location with scheduled check in times.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't be able to see a foot in front of my face with those things on. The guy's as blind as a bat!

I may just get a set of my own for this year. They seem to work for him...

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But he shoots more bucks!

[​IMG]

11. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha... lol

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Great advice^

13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I too like to hang my stands in the rain. Its usually cooler, quiet, and less scent. But like Justin said above, just know your limits and take your time. I also never where gloves while hanging stands, it gives a better feel while setting steps and stand. I have had many times had deer walk up and mill around while I am about half way up the tree hanging a new set. With every thing wet and spongy, you really can do it with zero noise!

14. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good points and I don't disagree I just know that time is the resource I have the least of so if I plan a day to hang stands and get the green light from my boss (wife) I'm hanging stands rain or shine. Always with two people and always harnessed up and our system is streamlined. As the stand hanger everything is prepped on the ground and I am not lifting anything a simple pulley system lets the guy on the ground do all the lifting work and I simply ratchet strap the stand in place and attach the lifeline (which is new to me as far as hunting). I've never used lifelines while hunting but have used them almost daily for my job for several years. So we are using them now because they just make sense, far more likely to have an issue climbing up and down or in and out of the stand than just sitting in one.

Edit: The more I thought about this the more I realized that I was being stubborn. As the stand hanger I could easily put the sticks up then immediately attach the lifeline. That way the rest of the work could be done using the lifeline also rather than just a lineman's belt. I'll still hang stands in the rain if necessary but no sense in not adding an extra safety measure that's fairly simple to accomplish. My only concern is leaving the lifeline in the elements for months if we hang stands early but that could be remedied by just pulling it and rehanging it just before season I guess. How weather resistant are those things anyway?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  15. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-