Back problems

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Over the past few years I've noticed more and more a nagging back problem. I get pain in my lower back (the curve part) if I'm standing longer then 10 minutes. I also get constant muscle pain in my mid back when sitting, when I go to get up I have the old man hunch for a few seconds. I'm 38 years old and drive a delivery truck, so everyday I'm lifting stupid heavy awkward objects, and get jostled around quite a bit because it's a bumpy ride. I've been debating on talking to my primary care physician about it, but I don't want to get caught in the chiropractor trap. Anyone else experience anything similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No advice, but good luck. Back issues suck!

3. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try stretching out your hamstrings, quads, and hip flexors (just google some stretches). Back pain is common if these muscles are tight and many people overlook it since the muscles arent actually in your back, yet could be causing the problem

4. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    Lift with your brain and legs, not you back.
    Get you abs and core strengthen.

Good luck
    MOBU aka one who has had 7 back surgeries

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This will sound a bit simple, but if you carry your wallet in your back pocket take it out when sitting.

Watch the weight or drop some, if that happens to be a concern.

The other alternative is find an ortho. Have them check you out, they often have strengthening and some rehab exercises that will likely help.

6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the Chiro trap... and I learned this late in life:
    The solution to a strong back is stronger stomach muscles!
    Strengthen your stomach muscles Joe - your back will thank you!

7. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree^^. When I'm in a good workout rhythm, I feel less/no pain. I'm a 40 y/o cop; in good shape, but 20+ lbs of gear every day take a toll. My doc suggested I give an inversion table a try, so that's what I plan to do! I refuse to go to a chiropractor.

8. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the wallet idea is great, as well as strectching. I think the ride is getting you more than the lifting.

9. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wait until you see what the next ten years bring. Look over post number 3 will help

10. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the pain keeps up after trying some of the things listed, don't be afraid to go see the doctor. Waiting too long can cause irreversible damage. My mom started out with just a little back pain and didnt go to the doctor. She ended up rupturing 3 discs and did permanent major nerve damage. She was in chronic pain due to that up until the day she passed.

11. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am one of the unlucky bad back recipients. I've had a long life of sports and hard work. In my early to mid 30's I started noticing chronic back pain. Like most I ignored it for awhile until I had to find out what was wrong so I could manage to get through a day without that much pain. Like you, I cant stand in one spot for more than a minute. Hard time getting up or bending over. Just constant pain in general.
    Finally went to get an MRI. Had a herniated disc, degenerated disc and stress fracture (no idea where that came from). Currently going to Physical Therapy a couple times a week and doing the excersises at home (when I remember). It sucks!! Every day is noticeable. It's kind of sort of effected some things I do, but then again I'm my own worst enemy. I'm not one to do what I'm supposed to lol.
    I wouldn't mess with it bro. Go get it checked out. A lot of it can be managed through PT or home exercising/ stretching. Catch it before a full rupture.

12. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think there's some good advice on here. My height and years of playing sports has led to some lower back pain. If I'm hunched over for an extended period of time while sitting (like tying flies) I have the old man hunch and it takes me a little while to stand fully upright. Admittedly I don't stretch out my hamstrings and could use some core strengthening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Typical unicorn / fairy problem, there is no hope for you or your back......Skittles

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the exact same problem Joe. The two things I found that help is shoes/inserts that actually contour my foot and a new mattress with the memory foam stuff. I also could use to lose about 30 pounds but yeah.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    -As young as I was I had slight back issues....started pocket carrying (little .380) in my back pocket and holy smokes did my back thank me leveling myself out (wallet was all before). So I concur on definitely taking wallet out of butt pocket whenever sitting.....or carry :evilgrin:

-When I lost the 75lbs I felt better everywhere...but definitely working on legs and mid-section (core) made the biggest impact, hoping to hit that hard here again as I've gotten lazy.

-Chiropractor has been my only means to keeping my back in alignment and fighting those neck kinks during softball season and hunting season...but we've got a local place where they don't take any insurance at all and it is first come first serve for just $20 for basic adjustment....I can handle that "Trap"

-Wear a belt while working...talking a weight lifters belt....dead serious, they do help.

-I have special made to my feet hard arch supports too....big help.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    agree with the above posts that mentioned abdominal strengthening. A strong core helps a lot...

17. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great stuff guys thanks!!! (except TJ lol!!) I think I should just get it looked at. I don't think its from heavy lifting at work, more along the lines of riding in horrible box trucks going over the horrible New England roads. I'm not obese, maybe overweight,by 20-25 pounds.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I was gonna say I wouldn't say it is from weight...but strengthening your core will always help...also helps fight off unicorns should the need arise :)

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    It's creepy you managed to find this....