Need advice! Thinking about switching to a single pin sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by marcuswagner12, Jul 25, 2015.

1. marcuswagner12

marcuswagner12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking at putting a new sight on my bow.. I have been shooting a multi pin sight for the past 10 years.. Right now I have a 5 pin IQ sight.. Debating on switching to the HHA King pin. Any advice from someone who made the switch from a multi pin to a single pin sight?

2. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch last summer never looked back I find that I'm more accurate... most of my shots deer hunting the winds are within 30 yards any way so I leave it in 20 most of the time. Everybody dreads that one day a buck will come in and jump out to 40 and they won't have the pin set but honestly they're so easy to adjust it hasn't been a problem yet so d do it the king pin looks like an awesome sight

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought an HHA XL-5519. I have not shot it yet (it just came in yesterday) but can say it seems very well built. I had an MBG Ascent single pin earlier this year and will say so far I liked the front wheel on the Ascent better. I use a Tightspot quiver and now I need to use an adapter on the HHA if I want the quiver to mount nice and close to the bow. I can post pictures and report more later once I start shooting it.

4. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went with single pin a couple of years ago. Hunting out west, you will frequent shots past 30 yards. When calling in elk, they may show up from 15 to 45 yards, so I went back to a multi pin slider, but only with 3 pins.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sighted the HHA in at 20 earlier. I will sight in at 40 later once it cools off. I had to have the mechanical rheostat almost closed, that pin is VERY bright in the sun light. I am happy I bought the version with the adjustment now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a single pin sight then about a week into the season I had a buck come in at around 20 yard. I got to full draw on him and then he got spooked by something and bounded 2x and ended up at around 44 yards. I had to let off the draw. unhook my release and range find his new distance then change the range dial on the sight and re-hook my release and then get the bow up and to full draw again. by that time he was in some tree's and I no longer had a shot. I switched back to my 5 pin and will never shoot a single pin ever again...

7. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    (I switched to a single pin sight then about a week into the season I had a buck come in at around 20 yard. I got to full draw on him and then he got spooked by something and bounded 2x and ended up at around 44 yards. I had to let off the draw. unhook my release and range find his new distance then change the range dial on the sight and re-hook my release and then get the bow up and to full draw again. by that time he was in some tree's and I no longer had a shot. I switched back to my 5 pin and will never shoot a single pin ever again...)

Same here. Get a 5 pin. Site it for 20-60 off season then remove the long pins during season if you think you won't need them and want less pins to choose from.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only step in your scenario that is different is with a multi pin you wouldn't have to adjust the sight. But multi-pin sights don't magically auto range distances for you :) . And if you practice and keep your single pin set at 25 you can shoot out to 40 by only slightly adjusting your point of aim. I have been a long time proponent of multi-pins and have tried single pins and always went back to multiple pins. But I've come to the realization for eastern whitetails I doubt I will switch away from a single pin again. At least I say that this week LOL.

9. cjantz

cjantz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a single pin last year and I had it on for only couple weeks be4 it came off and it's for sale lol !! I'm not sayin it bad idea but I just wasn't confident with it and didn't like it so went back to multi pin !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A single pin opens up your sight picture which is good thing. I just switched this year and have hunted with it once. I am mor accurate with a single pin but you have to practice for the situations mentioned above. Practice where you need to hold if the animal moves or be quick at moving the pin. Time will tell but I think it was a good thing especially since most of my shots are 30 yards or less.

11. Relentless

Relentless Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to agree with this. I have tried a single pin and found that in certain situations there just wasn't enough time to range, adjust, and make a solid shot. I am sure those of you who have hunted long enough can attest to this, regardless of species being pursued.
    However, I will divulge the fact that the technology with the single pin sights has greatly advanced since my trial.

12. TN_Guy

TN_Guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought the HHA Kingpin. I looked at every single pin sight I was told about. I really liked the HHA, Hogg Father, and Accutouch. I had a hard time making my decision (as I always do). Spott-Hogg's are awesome sights but too heavy for my taste. I looked at the Accutouch but I wanted my yardage on a dial. The HHA Kingpin has everything I was looking for. Had the Dial on the side with a magnifier to see the yard you are looking for. Has the 3rd axis adjustment. The two most things that sold it for me was the Rheostat (where you can make your pin brighter or dim to eliminate the halo effect on sunny days) and to be able to trade out the tape wheels to be capable to shoot multiple setups with the same sight. All you have to do is loosen and trade out the sight tape wheel. I ended up buying the HHA Kingpin XL5519. I switched from a IQ 7 pin sight to this. I got tired of having to guess the pin placement so thats why I went with the single pin.

13. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a HHA 5519 years ago, and I'll never go back to a multi-pin. Ever.

14. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It seems as if the responses are split in half. I made the switch before last season from a trophy ridge react 5 pin to an HHA ol-5519. This was by far the best decision I've ever made when it comes to my bow. At least for me, multi pins are confusing and much more complicated. You will have plenty of time to dial your yardage if you even fell it's necessary to do so. I set mine at 25 yards and I leave it because it's really not hard to adjust your point of aim. The confusion with it taking to long to dial in as said above, I can almost guarantee you is because of lack of experience with the sight. I understand that out west it might be a better option to buy a fixed pin because of the ranges. Whitetail hunting is completely different. You don't need to have a sight set at 50+ Yards. These HHA sights are the most well built rock solid easy to use sight out there. I killed two buck in Illinois last year with an HHA, both of which died in under 50 yards. Two weeks ago I purchased a kingpin and that is the mother of all sights. The only complicated part of the whole sight is sighting it in, and that's not too bad. As a new bowhunter, I strive for simplicity in the stand. This is by far the best switch you will ever make. The dial is smooth and crisp all fully machined aluminum parts. 100% made in the USA backed by the best lifetime warranty in the business. The multiple sight tapes is very simple, but incredibly innovative. This way if you wanna bowfish or shoot 3D or whatever the case may be, now you don't have to touch you dialed in hunting rig or scramble to get it resighted in two weeks before season opens. A nice bright pin and the option of a rheostat light and lense kit. 2nd and 3rd axis already built in. You can split yards easily with the magnifier. Best sight out there right now IMO. Hope you are able to use this information to sway you one way or another when making the switch. If you don't wanna spend 350$ HHA also makes an ol-5519 for around 160$ and a ds-5519 for around 250$ And they are both backed by the best in class lifetime warranty 100% made and assembled in the USA for substantially less money. All HHA's are rock solid sights that you can't go wrong with, no matter which direction you go.

15. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's 50/50 for sure. It only depends on what you want.
    My son just purchased 1 and another thread sorta goes over it.

He has it set up already and absolutely loves it. He even set it up all by himself and he is 15.
    I shot his bow a few times and the view was crystal clear with the single pin.
    Myself, I will stay with the Spott Hogg 5 pins, both bows.

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting at 20 today with the HHA. Guess no more groups. I thought I was safe because I was fine tuning the 20 distance and playing with 3 different arrow spines. The heaviest (Easton Bloodline 330's cut 28c-c) caused the ruined arrows. Dangit...

[​IMG]

17. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill never go back from my HHA. My shooting has improved, my confidence has improved. With the slider set at 25 yards I can shoot 10 to 40 with just MINOR adjustments in my point of aim.

18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Black Gold Ambush Ascent single-pin. I will not be going back to a multi-pin. The uncrowded sight picture is way too good.

19. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a hard time in believing the claim that a single pin can be set at 25 and shot accurately to 40 yards. I'm sure there are folks that can do it but I don't think I could. The distance between my 20 and 40 yard pins says that to make that adjustment, with my setup, I would have to hold a single pin somewhere over the animal's back in essence aiming for a spot in mid air. I like to be able to look at the target that I'm shooting at, not the sky above it.

My opinion on the "cluttered sight picture" is this. Regardless of what the size of the object is that I'm shooting at, my target is always the same size. 1/2 inch circle where I want my arrow. I don't need a wide open full view of the scenery to pick a 1/2 inch spot to shoot at. No matter what distance I either have a pin to hold on that spot or two pins to refrence while aiming.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

20. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm reading that the real serious guys know where to "aim" with the pin sitting at 25 yrds? They practice shooting higher with the pin and they know where it will hit at 40 yrds. That makes perfect since and I applaud the guys that are practicing that way for a single pin. This means they don't have to touch anything unless - 1) they have time to move the pin. 2) it's further than 40 yrds and they now have to move the pin.
    I can see that working really well.
    I like my 5 pins though.

When I shot my sons over the weekend, I actually saw how clear the pin was. I can see why people would like that.