South Dakota Mule Deer

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by the wanderer, Jul 24, 2015.

1. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing research on mule deer hunting in South Dakota. I'm currently have two preference points and someday would like to draw a rifle west river deer tag, but in the meantime I'm thinking about heading out and doing an achery hunt. I'm looking at most likely doing a completely DIY hunt. I've been looking at the NW part of the state as I've seen good size areas of public land. The area that peaks my interest the most is near Harding, Redig, and Buffalo. There seems to a large mix BLM, School and public, WIA's, and the Custer National Forest. Does anyone have any experience with this area? Is it worth while to hunt for Mule deer? I've killed plenty of whitetails so I'm specifically looking for a mule deer. My biggest concern is finding a place to stay or camp. Can anyone give any references to a trespass fee ranch?
    Any info would be great.
    Thanks.

2. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I run into lots of Wisonsin folk out chasing muleys every October. Many pick the closest spots they have a chance to shoot a muley, like around Gregory or Pierre. However, the most textbook spot-and-stalk country is around Belle Fourche and Lemmon. Those areas have plenty of public ground and will keep you busy.

3. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We met some people a few years back that told us the NW part of the state is THE part of the state to go for muleys, but I haven't trekked up there yet

4. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look up kill ratio by county and then look for acceptable amount of public land and go from there. From what I have found there are far better areas than the N.W. Corner of the state. Finding places to stay that are hunter friendly can be a issue in some areas also.

5. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You've had bad experiences in some towns up there? Almost all the small town motels I've stayed at west of the Missouri River love hunters.

6. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like there's quite a few different options in the western part of the state to get into some mule deer. I see up in the Lemmon area there is the Grand River National Grasslands. Are the grasslands worth hunting? is the area between Harding, Redig, and Buffalo not worth hunting? I figure I should try and narrow down the best location to hunt first and figure out the lodging/camping second. I'll look into the Belle Fourche area as well as Boof suggested.

Thanks again.

7. dingodango

dingodango Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live here in the great state of SD, but far far away from the area that you are expressing interest in hunting. That being said I have a few close friends that go to Harding County every year to rifle hunt. They seem to have pretty good luck and have shot a few mature bucks as well. As far as uninviting people, most people in the western part of the state are well aware that hunters and fishermen are a large part of their income, there may be a few that tell you to go back home but most are welcoming enough that you will have a great hunt.
    Best of luck to you.

8. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never been turned away because of hunting. But finding places to stay near where you are hunting can be a chore. I will say don't leave anything in your truck in the motel parking lots. I have had more than one friend have hunting equipment stolen out of them while parked overnight.

9. rwb0820

rwb0820 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone know the extent of damage the Moonshine Fire up in Harding County/Slim Buttes caused? We hunted just south of Rt20 there last year for archery deer. We also hunted the Belle Fourche Reservior for a couple of days before that. Saw some nice whitetails on Northside of Reservior. Tough driving in there but worth the trip. We are headed back to slim buttes this year for opening weekend of archery deer. We are driving from Florida. 3rd year going.