Tractor Suggestions Please!!!

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Heckler, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know nothing about tractors. I'm going to need something for snow, driveway maintenance, cutting grass, and food plots. Any suggestions??? I've never used anything but 4 wheelers in the past... I plan on cutting about 3-5 acres of grass regularly and don't want to make a career out of it.

I know they say to buy as much as you can afford. HA! Do they have their wives sign off on that? :) I was looking at Kubotas... Maybe something around 40 HP. Is that enough or over kill?

Is there a guide somewhere as far as used prices? I'm hesitant because I don't know what they should cost used... or new for that matter. Do they hold their value well?

I appreciate your suggestion / guidance in advance!

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    lol! In the trail cam section... I'll ask Fitz to move it!

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a JD 2305 with 24 horse that we mow our lawn and do about 5-10 acres of foodplots. We always run out of traction before power. And we beat the thing and it has never hiccuped. Nothing on kubotas but if you can afford it you won't be disappointed with JD. You can get a bucket for snow as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kubotas and John deere are my tractors of choice a 40hp should be plenty enough. If you have the extra cash invest in the front bucket and 4x4 its worth it.

5. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    New-(er) tractors now-days are insane price wise. The compact tractors are even worse. Some folks stray away from older tractors because they're either afraid of unknown mech. problems or they have enough money to not think twice on newer ones. Personally, I would look hard at older farm tractors. My family still runs late 60s Allis Chalmers on the farm, the newest tractor being a 71 1655 oliver.

You don't have to go that extreme, but even looking in the late 80s - early 90s will knock off a huge chunk of change.

Also, I'm not sure about folks around your parts but the farmers around here are mostly straight shooters. They don't make a whole heck of a lot of money nor do the plan to. So usually when they price something, it's fairly close to its worth.

1) what's your price range?
    2) Are you planning to use a bush-hog or a "fine" blade pull-behind for the 3-5 acre grass?
    2) I would stray away from compact tractors...unless of course, #1 doesn't apply.
    3) Are you mechanically savy?
    4) If #4 applies, look at on older farm tractor. You can have these for little to nothing and get a heck of a piece of equipment. My family runs all Allis Chalmers. Look at a D17. It will literally do what you want and more.

6. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed for 4x4 and a front bucket. A front bucket is almost a necessity!

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to hold onto anything I buy until its dead. I am a buy once type of guy. So if it is something I'll need to replace in 10 -15 years I'd rather spend a little more.

Thanks for your insight! Best guidance yet!

8. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Good, good! We've had most all our tractors from the original purchase. So it's a little easier to say older tractors are great (when you've maintained them from day one).

So less than $20k... you can have a HECK of a piece of machinery for that. Even compacts.

We have one compact - which is a Massey Ferguson 1426v. It's 26hp and does all and more! I'll try to find the PTO hp on it, but it's enough to spin a reverse rotating tiller 6' wide. Which is PLENTY.

If i were you I would factor two things into the price (if you're going compact) - like ChurchArchor said, front end loader and 4x4.

9. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
  10. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a 30 hp Massey 1240 I think, with loader 4wd and a howse bushhog with 400 hrs for $7K last year. GregH has the sweet setup, i'm sure he'll chime in shortly.

We used a 50hp New Holland on our Lease in OH last year, landowners, that was one awesome piece of equipment. If you aren't going to have to transport to and from, I'd say buy as big as you can afford. On the flip side I really like the compact tractor setup, it'll go places bigger tractors can't and the low center of gravity feels more stable on side hills (to me).

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  12. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  13. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    If you like Kubota's, look at the L3200 series. Kubota makes a good tractor, you wont go wrong with it.

The nice thing is you aren't paying for the nice pretty green paint and a name.

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The tractor "package" deal is a excellent idea! I like they even come with a trailer. Ideally I would like a tractor small enough I can fit all it and all its attachments on one trailer and not need a 3/4 ton pickup to pull it very comfortably. I have 3 properties 60 miles apart I will be using it on.

With that said I think a compact tractor is the way to go.

Are Kubota implements ok? I was told to go with Land Pride?

15. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have a 33 HP 4x4 New Holland and a 25HP Mahindra 4x4 with FEL. I run a 5ft bush hog and a finish mower on the Mahindra and I have no complaints except that i wish it was bigger. The FEL really comes in handy. The New Holland is mostly used for tilling and discing, If i could do it over again I would go with one tractor that is 50HP 4x4 with FEL and leave it at that.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  16. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Notice you also get a chain saw or a yeti cooler with the purchase.

I haven't used them, but I would honestly say they are fine. Kubota is becoming a big player, and have some quality stuff.

17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Love to have something with a cab, heat would be great. Fortunately it doesn't snow that often here in the winter. I don't want to have to build a shop with a 14' garage door just to store it. :p

18. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    We'll get you set up. I can look at tractors ALL day.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9176805

19. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the kubota bx25d about 10mth ago and it is awesome. As you can see in the pic I got a 4ft rear tine tiller, 60" mower deck, 4ft loader and the backhoe for $23k new. I mow about 2a and if you look at my thread "food plot transformation you will see what it can do. It's worked floor less with 130hrs on it.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: