New to Bow Hunting. Lookin for some advice

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Countryboy4487, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Countryboy4487

Countryboy4487 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have always wanted to get into bow hunting for the challenge. Just ordered a Bowtech Fuel and will be here in 2 weeks. Been doin alot of reading and trying to figure out what arrows, broadheads i wanna use. My drawl length is 30" and im gunna be shooting 60-70 lbs draw weight. Im lookin at gold tip arrows their hunter line and .03 straightness. Im just not sure on what weight arrows to get? Any suggestions? I know they have to be heavy enough for my draw weight but im at a loss. Also what weight broad heads are good for whitetail? I have seen them from 85-125. Im also lookin at a truefire harcore buckle foldback max release. I appreciate the help and any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lots of questions... lets see... first.. arrows... if yer shooting at 60 lbs, then 400's will do just fine... 65 is boarder line 350-400... over 65 to 70 lbs, 350's for sure... next broadheads... most popular is 100 gr, but if your using lighted nocks or want more FOC (weight front of center) then 125's... basicly, more FOC makes the arrows fly better, and helps correct for slight flaws in shooting, more weight up front also helps for better penetration, however more arrow weight makes for slower arrows... some people like fast over knockdown as flatter arrow flight less gap between range pins... personally I prefer the heaver broadheads with more FOC...that loss of 10-20 fps don't bother me none... now the release... Truefire are good releases... as for the foldback max.. never had one so can't say... hope that helps some...

OH.. and welcome to the sport :)... now get out there and practice, practice, practice

3. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The challenge pulls you in, the addiction holds you like a plague! Welcome to the sport.

4. Countryboy4487

Countryboy4487 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the help! So more drawl weight smaller the arrow? I was thinkin you had to go up to like 400 for 65-70lbs. Im lookin at goldtips either hunter xl 340 or 400's but not sure which one.

5. Countryboy4487

Countryboy4487 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks driving tracks! We will find out this fall

6. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The arrows have charts on the boxes to help select the right spine

7. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    actually backwards... 400 arrows are lighter and less spline then 350s or 340s... confusing I know...

8. Countryboy4487

Countryboy4487 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lol ok i understand now. Thanks guys for all of the help!

9. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    330 to 350 spine is what you will probably need. 100 grain broad heads is what I would shoot with your setup and the true fire hardcore Max is a good release.

10. jshelburne10

jshelburne10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You can't go wrong with good ol nap thunderheads. 100 grain paired with a beeman ics hunter pro 340 has always worked for me. It's not hard to find quality components out there nowadays, the main thing is to just practice, and enjoy the sport!

11. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of good broadheads out there. I love mechanicals, and the best I've tried in 14 years is a dead ringer rampage 2 blade 2 inch cut in 100 grains. Its strong, it flies like field points, its sharp, and does a lot of damage.

12. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What state are you out of?