Why am i shooting low?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mattt, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Mattt

Mattt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

So i just recently got into bowhunting/archery and picked up a PSE Stinger-X set to 29.5'' draw, and about 62(ish)lbs of draw weight. I don't remember what the guy at the shop set it to but i'll check later tonight if it even matters.

Anyway, I've been going to the range a lot lately and trying to sight in my MBG single pin ascent ambush sight but for some reason it's setting up the 20yd mark at just above halfway on the dial! I contacted MBG and they told me that not all bows are capable of sighting in to 100yds which i figured was the end of that until i went with a buddy who was shooting my bow and always shooting high. even missed a few over the haystack.. I figured it was my form and tried to stretch our my left arm more and standing a little more upright and it seemed to help a little but i'm still unable to get sighted in on my bow reaching to even 70yds without coming in contact with my arrow.

side note..i don't have a peep sight yet. I've read a few things saying that depending on where this is at, it'll alter the distance for your sight but I just wanted some insight before i took my bow to the shop to get a peep sight put in.

Also, would upping my draw weight help with this? I don't have an issues with drawing 62lbs and only get slight left-shoulder fatigue after shooting for 2+ hours nonstop.

All help is greatly appreciated.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a peep installed at a shop, until then you are letting arrows go and guessing.

3. Mattt

Mattt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sota,

but wouldn't the placement of the peep affect where i shoot? peep too high, shooting low? too low, shoot high? I live about an hour from the shop and want to have all bases covered so i know what i'm talking about when i bring up the issue. especially since the range they have is about 15-20 yards at best.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you anchor when at full draw? I would bet you and your buddy do not anchor the same and why you saw such the extreme differences when he shot your bow.

5. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The peep has some room to move but it is basically based on your eye position relative to your anchor point. YouTube some video of proper form and anchor point I use a kisser button put my nose on the string those items determine my peep location hope this helps

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need to setup the bow to what fits you. Don't worry about how it shoots for your friend. As Coop said, you will have an anchor point specific to you, either the corner of your mouth, crease where your nose meets your face, something like that. They will have you draw back to proper form and level your arrow to find your anchor point and peep sight location. The anchor point can be a little plastic/metal indicator that should go to the same location every time to help your form and keep you consistent.

7. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You need to anchor the exact same every time and the peep will help you with that. Get a peep and have the bow shop put it in for you. They will help you get it in the right place.

Also, your bow arm could be weak or tired and you are dropping your arm when you release the arrow. Even i do that when i get tired.

8. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All these guys are on the right track. You have to be consistent A peep is essentially like the rear site on a open site gun. The reason you shoot different than your buddy is because your two different people and each anchor at different spots.

I would either get a peep installed and then you can center your site ring in your peep or at minimum get a kisser button so you can put that in the corner of your mouth so you are always looking at the same angle to the pin.

You will probably be more accurate if you got a peep and a kisser button to start with. Some guys remove the kisser after awhile and start using the string on the tip of their nose as a second anchor point.

The key is having set anchor points so you can always be in the same position every time. Especially at longer distances as everything is magnified.

9. Mattt

Mattt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    great info guys. Thanks! i'l have to hit up the shop this weekend to get the peep installed.

Aso, thanks for the tip regarding dropping my bow arm. i can definitely see that happening. i guess i need a wrist strap?

10. JiAnthony315y

JiAnthony315y Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As far as dropping your arm, just work on the follow through...hold your bow in place until your arrow hits the target. This is how I started shooting and have grown accustom to it. I use a wrist strap just because I always have but I have never really had a real need for one, I guess I like there as a "just in case" type thing.

I started out with a kisser button also because it's an easy anchor point to get. After a few years of shooting I went away from the kisser button.

And just in my opinion, I wouldn't worry too much about shooting at 60+ yards right now. Get really comfortable at 20-30 and after your extremely comfortable with this ranges shoot 40-50 and when comfortable go further. When you get out to 50+ yards bow torque is a lot more noticeable and dropping your arm which causes you to shoot low at 20-30 yards is a lost arrow at 50-60.

And just to agree with every one else...get a peep sight..

Good luck

11. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me keep it simple: GET A PEEP SIGHT. What do you think they're for? IMO shooting without a peep is like shooting without a sight. Unless you have a peepless sight.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

12. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to chime in but I think this has been pretty much covered! Just do what everyone else above has already said and you will get it dialed in and you will be on your way!

13. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you have a peep less sight, then a peep isn't neccessary, but I would trust a peep before those. I would deffinately look at a kisser button as well. I couldn't get my groups tight enough to be comfortable past 25 yards before I got one, now I have no issue shooting out to 40.

14. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The more anchor points and references you have the more consistent you will be. I use 4. My knuckle at the top of my jaw bone, the string with a kisser at the corner of my mouth and tip of my nose and finally the sight ring centered in the peep.

The folks here on this forum are great and are more than willing to help if you have any more questions. Don't be afraid to ask a "dumb" question because there are so many variables that come into play with archery that it may be a case of all you need is to hear that one suggestion or piece of experience that nobody else has mentioned yet.

Once you get your peep, the next thing you will have to decide is whether to shoot with one or two eyes open.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

15. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have dumb question. What difference does it make if you shoot with one eye or two eyes open?

16. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NOTHING I TELL YA!

[​IMG]

But in all honesty, shooting with both eyes open is the proper way, especially if your dominant eye is the one you typically close, which is the case for me. It helps with depth perception and you get a wider view which helps with staying on target or in low light situations. I've tried shooting with both open but I can't seem to remember consistently so I gave up.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  17. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes peep sight location is everything with movable sights. Unfortunately peep sight location also largely depends on anchor point. With peep sights it is opposite of the sight. As your peep sight goes up, your arrow also go up; and vise versa. When setting up any movable sight the trick is to get the 20 yard mark sighted in as high as you can, in relation to the sight movement. Good luck getting it sighted in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. rtolliver

rtolliver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You need a peep sight installed. Only the most skilled archer can use an anchor point consistently without a slight error. My dad is a guy who insists on never using a peep sight, but he shoots 50 arrows a day.

19. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Matt,

Since you are new to peep sights, be sure to select one with an aperture that provides the correct sight picture. At full draw you should just be able to see the outside ring of your sight housing. Another words, looking through one ring, allows you to see the other ring and no additional free space around the sight ring.

This will aid you achieving tighter groups, as it allows you to check you anchor position at full draw.