Thinking About Switching to Using a Release

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Spear, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been planning on getting a new bow next year now that the wife and I have finally adjusted financially to having 2 kids. With the new bow, I am contemplating switching from a finger tab to a trigger release. I never made the switch to a release from back when I first started shooting a traditional bow. I don't have a specific reason to switch but feel it might help with my grouping and overall less wear on the string. Did anyone else make this transition or did everyone start out shooting a bow using a release? Does anyone have any advice for how to make the switch (besides practice)? I definitely want a wrist strap style release, but I'm not sure if I should go with a dual caliper jaw style or a hook style. If I do switch to a release it will be after the season so I have plenty of time to practice but I just don't know where to start other than trying a bunch of different ones...

2. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love Scott releases. My favorite is the hook style with the ncs strap (I'm pretty sure that's what they call it but can't remember off hand). If you want a wrist strap release you can focus on using back muscles to trigger the release the rhino XT is a good one. I have the old one with the square head and it still works great. If you like a sensitive trigger then go with the silverhorn. I really don't know much about the caliper ones but if I were to get one it would be a dual caliper release. If you go to a shop and they let you, just test a bunch of them but I would look at Scott as a first choice.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start with one of those tru fire releases of you are worried about liking it, they are only about $20. I know you said you want the wrist strap but I started there and moved to the hot shot 4 finger thumb release and love it. Just fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Certain bow shops have a device to let you test out all the releases that you can draw and shoot. But if they don't they'll probably just let you pull em out of the package and check em out. If you're looking for something under 50$ the tru fire smoke is pretty good. Comes with a foldback head and swivel adjustment... if you're wanting to spend more look into the spot Hogg wise guy.

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

5. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot 2 finger tab up to 26 yrs old.

Basically sat out for 20 yrs and now I'm back at it.

Release for sure. Shoot at 20 yards for a long time. Stop shooting after 10 shots. Build muscle memory and not bad habits.
    Remember to breath and not hold your breath forever before squeezing the trigger. Don't worry about baseball groups, just have fun.
    You will turn around 4 months later and it will all be worth it. I now shoot out to 60 yards and it is so much fun.
    Now that I'm settled in, when I'm tired I step in to 20 yards for those hold real long and work on concentrating for a clean release.

I would bale shoot, don't even aim, just a clear mind and easy pull. Shoot a bag target 3 feet away.
    Great for muscle memory.

Don't take anything serious for at least 4-6 weeks if not longer. Good luck....

Hook or jaw, they are both good. TF makes great releases. If you purchase a cheaper one, you will want a better 1 pretty quick. Get the best for your money on what you can afford, no Velcro - buckle strap for sure.

On my really good days, look out this 50 yr old can shoot. On my off days, I still shoot good - just not as tight as my good days.

Remember - it's only the very first shot that counts!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  6. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well , if you really want to try a release , let me know , just might have an extra one laying around you can use / have ...

I understand the kid thing and money , we have 2 as well ...

7. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also from switching from trad to compound. I used a trigger release. I just started using a thumb release. Thumb release is much nicer. I use the true fire 4

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot trad with fingers, then compounds with fingers, then back to trad with fingers, then back to compounds with a release around 2007. I am the opposite of Bryan, I despise thumb triggers and hand held releases. They just aren't for me. I am a big Scott Archery fan and currently shoot the Wolverine.

9. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All this talk of releases makes me want to ditch releases all together. I've never shot a compound with fingers. I heard it is easy for the string to derail