Whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by S.S.Tupperware, Jul 20, 2015.

1. S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We have cleared out a lot of invasive vines and trash out of our 5 acres... this property if in CFL. 1/4 miles from the St. Johns river. There is no farming around, it's just woods and wet areas So once I get the vines killed for sure, I will let palmettos and other things come back naturally, but the vines choked out a lot of area since it was left unchecked.
    I would like to plant something that can withstand the heat we have here, I see mixes but I doubt much would grow out of those... I assume there for a more moderate climate. I did plant a few Banana pups I had to clear out at the house to keep the patch doing goot.

2. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have planted a few plots in Hamilton County, that's not central but it still gets hot. Rye and Oat plots do awesome, as well as clover.

3. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    I use a lot of Whitetail Institute seed, if you go on there website you can pick the area you live in and it will tell you good planting dates. As well as the recommend soil ph and fertilizing instructions.

4. S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will take a few soil samples to the extension agency, but I can't imagine it needs much. I did grab a few clumps of Perenial Peanut from the median and planted... https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ag329

5. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    Heavly wooded areas tend to have a lower ph level. Depending on the types of timber. For example, Oak trees like more acidic soil and tend to bring the ph level down.

6. S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The wooded areas are to shady, this would be in the open.

7. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    Odds are, the area was probably wooded at some point. Roots can grow for years after the trees have been taken down, which will continue to lower the ph level. Even if the roots are dead, if the areas ph was never corrected after the trees were taken down then it will still be low. I doubt it will be too high however, it's very un common for naturally high ph levels in our region. I look at probably 10-20 soil samples a day and I have yet to see one that was perfect without any corrections by man.