One Reason To Question The "CULL" Way Of Thinking

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lester, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never been one to buy into the serious "cull" concept and think it gets tossed around too much, and used by some people who have that as the excuse for shooting smaller bucks. I never thought you should "cull" a buck before it was 4 1/2. Usually you can tell what a buck was going to be like by that age, and we would target mature bucks 4 1/2 years or older that were not giants to try and get them out of the herd. Last year we had a buck I named Rocky Marciano because of hook on his right brow tine. He was definitely mature and I was hoping one of my kids would have shot him because we didn't think he would ever be much more than that. Well we were wrong...really wrong. Rocky blew up this year and I cant believe it. So next time you are going to cull a buck you might want to give it a second thought. Here is a picture from last year and the latest picture from this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow....what a jump in size!

I agree with your thoughts on culling.

3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think It has to do with nutrition. I had been watching a buck grow since it was a nubber. Year 3 we had the earliest spring ever. Ice was gone a month early and by Memorial Day the lake temps were at July levels. He was about 125-130" at 3. Then last year was a late spring. Ice on the lake until May 10 (usually off April 20-25) Same deer (now age 4) was about a 100". To bad the neighbor shot him. This year was an early spring (ice off April 12), he would have been 150s I bet.

IMO culling is works only for a high fence deer farm. There you control and numbers nutrition. Culling wild animals IMO is worthless to improve the herd genetics. I have seen a spike horn one year that is a16" wide 8pt the next.

4. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the doe genetics were the determining factor of antler size on bucks.

I've never culled a deer because it wasn't big enough. I've always said let em go let em grow. It might not be trophy quality to me but it is to someone else. They can shoot it and be pumped about it. I'll wait for a bigger one. If I don't see a bigger one I'll eat tag soup, not a big deal to me. I'd rather do that then shoot a buck with potential to be a giant.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice buck, amazing growth from last year to this year. I think instead of saying they culled a buck, they should just say I got a shot at a buck and shot it. Hardest buck to let walk is the second buck you see during a sit.

6. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I realize you probably have other pics and sightings of the deer in question, but in all respect and based solely on the pic provided here, I would not have aged him as a mature deer last year and therefore not a "target cull" buck.

Regardless, a very beautiful and impressive buck this year, that's for sure.

7. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He's a Beauty Tom... hope you can get a crack at him.
    Albeit if you can't, perhaps your daughter can. :evilgrin:

8. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He would have been a trophy for me last year!

9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow Crazy growth! Here in RI, I've never given "cull" a thought, not enough bucks for that. I think I need to move to the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats the problem with judging deer by the size of their antler. From all that I've read and heard, and has come to be my thought, is judge by maturity not inches. Big briskets, bellies, shoulders, and hams is what i want.

11. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    World class. Bet there is some serious planning at your house.

12. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think with the right food and minerals a deer has the ability to put size on in a years time. IMO

13. PSEFreakAR

PSEFreakAR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Couldn't find the mouth drop emoji deal...... But if I coul, it'd be right here!!!!! Nice nice buck and good point Tom!

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be an advocate of culling mature bucks with less desirable traits, I still am to some extent. There are exceptions to everything, it's still far less likely for a buck that's been consistently an 8 point for 4.5 years to ever explode like Rocky based on my experience.
    There are tons of factors that influence their antlers from year to year, weather is big as is nutrition and mineral intake but also things that are not quantifiable like an individuals condition coming out of rut and winter, change of habits, etc...

I never knew how much effect culling less desirable mature bucks had on the herd, my main goals was to try to let them age enough to express what potential they had and time for the big boys to breed as many does as possible. No doubt a goodly portion of antler genetics are passed from does but the big bucks produce does...

I've come to think that every deer herd has genetic potential to produce huge antlers, it's just that it takes the right circumstances for them to be expressed and I also think those specific genetics stack depending on good conditions annually, this is why deer confined to an island will often regress into a smaller version (I believe) and why deer can be grown to reach mammoth proportions on ranches.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :jaw: *Definitely worthy of that here.

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are seeing an explosion on most the deer this years compared to last year and the year before . I think it has a lot to do with having a really mild winter last year and a wet cool spring/summer. We have only had one day so far that reached triple digits. Outlook here is low to mid 80s for most of August when is unheard of! With great food sources and way less stress I think the deer have really packed on weight, mass, and inches. I wouldn't say its scientific but seems like more then just a coincidence to me!

17. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WOWZER! Hope one of you has a shot at him! He's BE-U-tiful! :bow:

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your two statements are contradictory. You can't "let em go let em grow" if you cull them. I am confused, but that's nothing new LOL.

Beauty of a buck Monster Raxx!

19. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck!

20. bone_driven

bone_driven Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    jump in size for sure. I think a buck will not hit full potential unitl 5 1/2 years but can tell at 4 1/2 what he will do usually. Some people dont worry about a cull buck. I know where i hunt if me and my family see a decent size buck we are going to shoot it because that is a good buck in our area. Not everbody has 150+ bucks running around. We only have 180 acres which is a lot more than most but if we see a 110-120+ plus buck its going to die. We usually never see deer again that size more than once due to our surrounding neighbors. We hunt for meat as well and not just for the horns on the head. Sure is nice to connect on a 140+ plus though