My son wants a single pin

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wingtipsdown, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about this for hunting.
    I hunt with 5 pin hogg it and my opinion is you will get in a pinch and it's too much to have to adjust. Especially a 16 yr old.

Please give your thoughts. Thx

2. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started out with a single pin and hated it. I don't shoot target, but I do hunt and I can't even count the number of times deer come in so fast there is no chance to adjust. Multi pins give you one less thing you have to worry about when deer come in, and in bowhunting that's golden. I would interested in hearing the single pin user's thoughts though.

3. Wingtipsdown

Dislikes Received:
    He is set at 62 lbs, so it's not like he is super flat out to 30-40 yards.
    I think if he wants something that can roll out to further yardage, get a 3 or 5 pin the moves on a dial.

He will not be launching arrows at deer at longer distances and he does know that....

Send replies - I plan on letting him read this thread.

4. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 62lbs and have a single pin. I set mine at 25 yards and adjust accordingly for the deer and no adjust the actual sight. I practice with it like that and I know my arrow impact so I adjust my hold depending on the distance. I haven't had any issue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If he wants a single pin go with a truglo range rover. Very nice for the price. For hunting I would set it at 20 yards and use a white or silver marker to make a 30 yard dot on the pin so if he gets a shot at 30 and doesn't have the time to adjust he still knows where to aim.

6. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't go this way. I had one for a season and I hated it. The slide sucked and adjustments on it were a pain. Plus the pin wasn't very bright. Put in a little extra money and get an HHA. Even the cheaper models will be better than the Range Rover.

7. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Oly. I shoot a single pin on a darton bow at 28.5in draw 62lbs going 320fps. set to zero at 30yds. I just hold over or under depending upon my yardage guesstimate. IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1087.jpg Here's the results.

8. Wingtipsdown

Dislikes Received:
    He has the money for a good sight. Keep them coming. Thx again.

9. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would try talking him into getting a multiple pin Tommy Hogg. If he still is set on a single pin, he can later buy the single pin housing to put on it. I never could figure out why you would want a single pin for hunting. They would be great for 3-D or spots but why have one more thing to worry about when hunting.

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just like oly, I use a single pin locked down at 25. I practice shots from a tree stand from 15-45 yards without moving my pin.

11. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a single pin Tommy Hogg and love it, easy to use and set up and a solid build

12. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the same concern about not having time to adjust it but I've been told that its not an issue. Set it at 25 yards, any deer that is near that is dead. Any deer farther, your thinking about the yardage anyways and should remember to move it.

I've heard really great things about HHA.

13. jonathan_2227

jonathan_2227 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am going from a 5 pin to the hha. This will be my first season trying it. My 5 pin would sometimes leave me confused with which pin to shoot, especially on those 35 yard shots in between pins. In the amount of time it would take to think about what yardage, I can have the single pin adjusted. From just target shooting in the yard, I love it. I guess we will see how hunting with it goes. If he is going to get a single pin, I wouldn't consider anything but an hha.

14. Wingtipsdown

Dislikes Received:
    The guys that have said the single pin works - you are making sense. Especially the 25 yards, then a dot under the pin.
    Great advice that I didn't know about. I think we will let the little dog do what he wants and get the single pin.
    He will be purchasing the HHA PART # DS-XL5019 - he did his homework and had this sight picked out.

I see no reason to hold him back on this purchase. I love it when my boys challenge themselves to do what they want.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Before he spends his money, have him take all but one pin out of his multi pin sight. Set it at 25 yards like others recommend and shoot it a while like that. If he finds that it's OK to hunt with that kind of limitation then good for him. If he finds that he would rather have multi pins for more reference points then at least he hasn't wasted a bunch of money.

Personally, I like three pins set at 25, 35, 45.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

16. AndyWest83

AndyWest83 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PM me I have a HHA optimizer ultra I would sell RH 2" housing with extension. Used it for 6 months

17. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good for him. Let us know how he likes it.

18. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If he has enough money go for the hha king pin. My favorite hha sight.

19. Wingtipsdown

Dislikes Received:
    Chandler has 20/13 vision. The pins just look really crowded to him when he shoots.
    That is the reason for a single pin, he wants to remove the clutter.

He has shot some with other pins removed and said he likes it better. He still shot the same groups but his preference would be for 1 pin only.

He shot his first turkey this past spring and said he will hunt turkeys with bow only from now on.
    He told me that you can also use a dial for any odd ball yardage, which if you have the time, that would pay off blind hunting turkeys. Definitely going to let him spend the money.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  20. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he will feel more confident in his setup do not hold him back! I switched 2 years ago and love it! I wish I was upgrading to the king pin and if I was I would send you mine free of charge.

Someone on here sold it to me for $30 so I couldn't sell it for what it's worth on here. Would feel bad lol.