Camera Arm Setup...questions

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Matt/TN, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys, I finally got my setup pieced together and in the mail. Here's the setup.

Canon G20
    Rode Videomic w/ Lyre Suspension
    Varizoom Stealth
    Manfrotto MV500AH
    Muddy Outfitter arm

I'm going to get up in a tree later this week for a little practice. Here's my question though. I shoot a bow left handed even though I'm naturally right handed. So setting up the camera arm on my left hand side is what I need to do but is that going to pose any issues with me being able to see the viewfinder? Is there any Self-Filming lefty's out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm right handed so I film with the tree arm on my right cuz you need your bow in your hand. I have been in situations where I needed to place the tree arm on the left and yes its awkward and yes you can have trouble seeing the viewfinder. But a cameraman's gota do what he's gota do to get the shot. This is your first filming setup? You basically just have to do it to see what works for you. My best advice is to setup so the camera arm is on the opposite side of your bow hand. And set up in the tree where you think the deer will come from so you can place the arm opposite of your bowhand. Maybe you could get cannon to make a left handed camera.:evilgrin:

3. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think your best option would be to buy an external moniter with a mount that allows you to have two cold shoes. (So you can mount the monitor and shotgun mic) . It's going to cost you a little more money but to me it would be totally worth it to be able to see the LCD screen. You might need a ball head adaptor to attach the LCD monitor to the cold shoe mount and be able to tilt/adjust the screen.
    Here's a link to the mount http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HL...C_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=camcorder+monitor

Heres a link to a monitor: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/692424-REG/Delvcam_DELV_HD7_HDMI_VGA_LCD_Monitor_7.html

4. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My cold shoe mount actually has 3 mounts on it because I'm going to end up running a light for recoveries.

I have considered a monitor but we will see. What do they use as a power source? The camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk