What's your "realistic" outlook for this season?

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We all have the dream of our hero shot with a 200" buck, but for MOST of us that's far from reality of how our season will go!!
    So then, Whats your realistic expectation for this upcoming season, how do you think it will really turn out?

For me first off I strongly believe that I will get a 130"-140" buck in Illinois this year. Last year I blew the shot, and the year before I had a low 130's broadside for 8 minutes at 15 yards and decided to pass to hold out for bigger.

In RI, I realistically believe that I have a 50/50 chance, I'll probably get a shot at a 110"-120" buck during the rut. This year I've had a hard time patterning bucks on my property for an early season score. No does for me this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Oops meant to post this in the bowhunting section!!

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My personal goal is for two mature bucks, one of which is over 150".

4. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My goal is to fill my tag this year. I want to fill it the first weekend so I can take my boys out with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

5. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    to do better then the year before no matter what. whether it is better scouting or shooting a bigger buck, or better stand placement. and most of all to have a good time being out there!

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking for something that gets me excited. I don't worry about the score, it's all about the look. However that "look" usually takes about 145 inches.

I hunt public land the majority of the time and that is a realistic expectation for me.

7. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    If I can pattern my two larger bucks I've been seeing I could possibly have a chance at 3 booners in the same 8 acres of timber. I like my odds. uploadfromtaptalk1437271801567.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1437271889795.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1437271919634.jpg

8. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My goal is just to kill a mature buck prior to the November rut, have some high expectations from all my spring scouting so will see what shakes out.

9. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tyler... one's already giving you the 'raspberry'!

My expectation is to end a 3 year drought Joe! That means venison in the freezer... be it doe, spike or booner!!!

10. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm due. I have passed on about a dozen 130-140 inch deer the last three seasons. It's not about the size of the buck, but the age and the oldest deer I've had shots at were 3 1/2 years old and I just think about the potential of a 140" 3 1/2 year old would have the next year. The last 3 seasons have been eventful but heartbreaking as I have had an opportunity each year at a booner but blew it. One year I had a monster chase a doe right down the trail I was hunting but the wind swirled and she bolted. He followed. The next year I took a week off work in early November. I had hunted a few days but had some stuff happen at work and decided to go in. Went to hunt the next stand I would have hunted the day before, checked the trail cam, and had a huge main framed 10 with a huge double beam walk through with a doe at 8am. 15 yards from the stand I would hunted had I not gone into work. Last year I had the biggest buck of my life run right under my stand. He stopped at about 40 yards for a second. It was October 2nd and I really was not ready. Had I been ready I would have been able to make a shot.

I put the work in every year and do the right things to put myself in the position to be successful. Last year was my most successful season yet and I didn't even pull the trigger. I have never had so many opportunities at nice bucks. My time is here to put another world class whitetail up on my wall.

11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want to get another deer under my belt and I think I can easily take a doe early season like I did last year. I really want to get this first buck on the ground. It's killing me trying to put one down. I've only been doing this 4 years but I just haven't capitalized.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "Realistic expectations"...
    I expect to spend a few hours in a deer stand, outside of that...I expect nothing, suspect nothing and know nothing. (emphasis on that last one)

13. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Covey!

I'll spend 150 hours in the stand and pass on a few smaller bucks. I'll get busted while drawing on a doe again and miss a 135" 11 point. And it will be a blast!

14. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm good for 50 points on a doe, don't have my camera out yet so don't know about bucks but hopefully theres something decent there. But as long as i get out thats all that matters.

15. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well my goal is to shoot 2 mature p&y's each year. I normally just shoot 1 in the 130's and 1 doe. I try to be realistic with my goals. I don't set my bar at 150 because I might just get 1 shot off every 5 years if i did that. If I had a few 150 inch bucks living on the property I hunt then I might set my bar that high. Realistically a 130 inch deer is possible most years for me. In 2013 I didn't even see a deer that would score 130 and I hunt quite a bit. I ask myself what is realistic for the property I'm hunting and then I go from there.

16. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to shoot a respectable velvet buck it North Dakota and then shoot a pretty nice buck here in MN.

17. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Patterning a deer is like trying to pattern what a 4 year old is going to do in a toy store, Very very very hard. Just have to be in the right place at the right time and expect the unexpected. Good looking bucks though

18. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree, depending on how early your season starts. My season opens mid September and the bucks are still on summer feeding patterns opening day. As long as you have an irresistible food source, like a small messy food plot, with some fruit trees...patterning them is very doable, just stay outta there until the opener

19. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here!

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Realistic Goal: Blowing everyone a bunch of crap in the BH.com competition!

Possible Goal: Getting a buck of my own to add to my team's score ( :D ) *hopefully it's RD :D :D