How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by boonerville, Jul 16, 2015.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just became aware of a situation I am unsure how to approach. I recently was offered permission to hunt 2 prime farms. I was made aware by the owner that the neighboring property was leased by a big hunter, and that they have had problems with him running people who had permission off of their land, trespassing during shed season, and he has made several threatening comments to the owners. They told me he does not have permission to be on their property for any reason. Not sure if there are underlying issues but my landowner told me point blank he doesn't trust the guy. Here's the kicker though....I asked who it was so that I could be aware and also hopefully talk to the guy and sort things out. Upon looking him up, I discovered that I know him. Not in person, but through another hunting forum. I've conversed with him in threads since 2010 and he always seemed like a stand up guy. Im 100 percent certain it's him after comparing threads to his Facebook photos and YouTube videos. The crazy part is he is always talking about having problems with tresspassers on his lease..that he's had stands and cameras stolen and always finds boot tracks, and claims it was his neighbors (which would now be me). I have not contacted him, so he does not know that I know where his lease is. What should I do?

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I think its on the landowner that gave you permission to hunt on his land. I would work with him and verify his land boundaries, confirm its posted so its obvious to any neighboring landowners. If their are issues the landowner should be taking care of this with that individual and the authorities.

Sounds like one party is not aware of the actual land boundaries.

3. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe once you contact him and express your situation he will be understanding since you do have some kind of background with the guy. Hopefully you can work something out and maybe even kind of work as a team to hunt the area and certain bucks. I would be sure to talk property lines with him as maybe there is a confusion between the hunter and the people who you got permission form. That really is a difficult situation, dealing with sticky situations with neighbors are always the worst. Good luck

4. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    The boundaries are very clear. The 3 properties are rectangular and in a row. He hunts the center farm, I now hunt the farms on either side of it.

5. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh well that doesn't leave much room for confusion then. Man Idk what else to say just try to talk to him and maybe try to plan it out as a you guys are hunting as a team.

6. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah someone is confused. Talk to him and the land owner. If that doesn't help bury a stick of old spice under his stand. Lol

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see any issue yet. It's a fresh start. Make an appointment to introduce or reintroduce your self, set the ground rules so everyone is on the same page and then take it from there. There are three sides to every story and fortunately your starting a new one. If the guys a ****** the way the landowner described you will find out soon enough, and if it doesn't pan out like that...then maybe you were given some misinformation...it happens .

8. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Dad taught me good fences make good neighbors.

Not necessarily a structural fence but a well mark boundary may solve your issue. Mark the lines good and show them to all parties involved. Then know can say "I didn't know".

9. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Is your dad a cop? I've heard that saying from just about every sheriff deputy I've ever talked to...they must teach it at the academy

10. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I hope it can be a fresh start. I have zero reason to doubt the landowner...I've hunted other property he owns for years and would consider him a friend. But until I became aware of this situation i had no reason to doubt anything this guy posted in forum either......

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I believe it was a Robert Frost writing.

12. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    ?.....i don't follow...read poetry in school but that was a while ago

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For some reason that factoid is stuck in my head, must have been one of the days I didn't blow off American lit in collage.:confused:

14. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    You made a collage of American Lit?...weird.....:)....

Anyway..back on topic

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would talk to the guy and also tell him what you heard, ground rules and understanding go a long way.

16. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely talk to the...I'd even sound excited to finally not have to deal with a neighboring "idiot" hunter like you've dealt with in the past. Some can hide their true colors in rather large ways online but in person tough to hide behind anything....so maybe he is a **** in real life and will need a ego stroke at first.

I would think this is nothing but a good thing and your landowner may slowly be thankful that the new guy (you) actually has a little back knowledge of the guy and may be able to ease tensions.

17. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Easing tensions is exactly what I want. I dont want to start a war.....

Btw don't worry TY...it's not you;)

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    bahaha... :evilgrin: that'd have been way too funny!

19. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Haha....I'd take you as a neighbor any day. Shoot if we hunted neighboring farms I'd be willing to bet some big stuff would get killed:rolleyes:

20. Crossm2000

Crossm2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try talking to him and if he continues to do what he has been then get the law involved