Photo Editing Software

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by tynimiller, Jul 16, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Okay....I'm just gonna go ahead and get one. I've long used multiple free ones but never really truly enjoyed any of them entirely.

Is photoshop truly worth the $80+ tag on it compared to some of the $30 or $40 ones out there?

Just looking for thoughts.

Heard good things about Corel PhotoImpact for its lower than should be cost some say...anyone here use it ever?

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PhotoShop is worth it considering all the tutorials on YouTube and it's the one that just about any graphics designer knows, which can come in handy when needing help or questions answered.

Have you tried GIMP? It's basically a knock off of PhotoShop with a lot of the same concepts and it's free.

3. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends what type of photography you're doing and also what format you shoot in.

I have been using ''PhotoPad Image editor'' for years and am very happy with it, working in Jpeg format.

Just got the 30 trial version of Photoshop CC, a lot more complicated to learn and not as user friendly for Jpeg pictures. But for RAW format you definitely want Photoshop.

If you are just a casual shooter with mostly point and shoot type pictures, don't waste money on Photoshop, you'll probably find it overcomplicated and hate it.
    On the other hand if you want to seriously get into photography, own a good DSLR and want to finetune RAW pictures, go for Photoshop and don't waste money on the lower programs.

Depends what you need...

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are just correcting photos, then I don't think Photoshop is necessary. I do most of my corrections with Lightroom. If you are manipulating the pictures a lot then it's probably worth it. I have the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography package. It's $10 a month, so in the long run it's more expensive, but it constantly updated so you never have to worry about your software being outdated. It's fast and easy. You can really do a lot in Lightroom. It also works in concert with Photoshop and all the other Adobe programs to really give you some powerful tools.

http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/...raphy&ef_id=VTfQagAAAQ9QfYX0:20150716133622:s

5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Like stated above, Photoshop is a pretty complex program with a pretty steep learning curve. Lightroom is not. It's very, very easy to work with.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks fellas, I do all my still shots with my Canon T3i and just really want the ability to do more to the shots taken...as of now it will be merely for self-pleasure (oh boy jokes coming) not job related type stuff. Gonna look into some of the programs brought up.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Sky what version of lightroom you running?

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Nevermind you get it with the $10/month deal. Man I like what I'm seeing....I may have to give it a go.

9. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    There are lots of benefits to the Creative Cloud version. You can install it on any computer or device that you want and log into them so you can work from multiple locations or devices. They have a mobile app that works on a smart phone or tablet, so you can even edit the pictures taken with you phone right then and there and put it out and share it right away. You can save your photos to the creative cloud so they are accessible anywhere, not just the computer you saved them to. The workflow on Lightroom is very, very easy yet it has some pretty powerful tools to help manipulate the pictures.

Here's a picture I took on my cell phone last night. The second picture was edited from the Lightroom app on my cell phone in about 3 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I see they have a free trial...gonna try it out here soon! Thanks man, I think this is gonna work great for what I want. I can even use it for Small Acre and my wifes side painting business for all her photos (justify the purchase to her haha).

11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha. Claim it on your taxes as a business expense :)

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Neither business has ever made enough to report yet :sad:

13. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, Lightroom is all I use for 95% of my editing. I round trip to Photoshop for some things, but you would be served well with Lightroom.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

14. ruteger

ruteger Guest

You could also try Picasa by Google. It's free and really easy to use. They have an I'm Feeling Lucky feature that does automatic corrections to your photos, and you also have the ability to tweak them a bunch of different ways to get the results you want. https://picasa.google.com/

I took the initial (before corrections) photo above reference above and used the I'm Feeling Lucky tool and got the following result:
    Initial photo:
    [​IMG]

After clicking, I'm Feeling Lucky:
    [​IMG]

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on what kind of editing you are doing. I use both PS and LR a lot. If you are looking to enhance photos primarily, LR is the one for you. Photoshop can do much of the same stuff and more, but they are set up completely different. First of, LR in 100% non-destructive. All the the changes you make to a photo are saved in the file's metadata. Meaning, after all your changes you can go back a year later, click a button and still have the original.

For the most part, photoshop is destructive (though they are some ways around this). So, lets say you open a photo, apply a filter and hit save. Now you can longer undo that change. Sure, you can save it as another file, but that will take up that much more space.

Both have their strengths and limitations, but they are top notch programs! The CC subscription can include both LR & PS, so then you'd be good to go! Like other's have said, there are a ton of tutorials for all Adobe products. Terry White's YouTube page is fantastic! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-oYkx9wyeGc6Sh8tkVlaTw

16. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If corel photoimpact is anything like corel designer, its terrible. I use corel designer at work and nobody likes it here. But its the best thing they can find to do what they ask.

17. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Spear. I can do anything with GIMP that I can with PhotoShop and its free!! There are more YouTube videos out there that you can shake a stick at too. Its definitely worth a look if you are somewhat tech savvy.