Trying to choose between 2 bows!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dgperson05, Jul 14, 2015.

1. dgperson05

dgperson05 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that it is mostly personal preference on what bow to purchase, but like everybody knows hi point pistols suck I figure getting some opinions of a couple different bows might help make my decision.

I am getting back in to bow hunting and dont want to soak up $1000 in a bare bow right now. I am looking at a couple used bows at my local shop.

One is a Mathews Z7 and the other a Bear Empire. I have heard mostly good things about both of them but my local shop seems to think that bear is a step below. There is a pretty big cost difference between the 2. The z7 is 700 set up(not how I would set up so I would still have to change some things.) and the bear empire is sold bare at 375 which would allow me to put the exact components I want on it.

Is the z7 that much better than the Empire? I know Mathews is a great bow but am I really going to be able to tell that much of a difference between the 2.

Thanks for any help in advance.

dgperson05

2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First off, welcome to the site! Secondly, have you shot both of these bows? If not you should definitely shoot them. That will help you decipher which of the two is best for you as well as help you decide if the Z7 is truly that much better and worth the extra money. :tu:

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a z7 it was a good bow. However, $700 for that bow is unreasonably high..

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! I personally think the Z7 series of Mathews bows are the best they have ever made. With that being said, that seems like a good price for the Z7 with everything on it. (Sight, rest, quiver and peep). They are running between $650 and $680 on Ebay full loaded. I haven't shot a Bear bow in years, but I hear good things about them.

5. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It think 80% of people would have to say the z7. For a used z7 from 2010 $700 is a bit much but he's probably expecting someone to offer below that so he can meet in the middle probably between $600-$650 . If you try to buy a used bow always try to haggle a little. More than likely they will go down.

6. Bear bow shooter

Bear bow shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Bear!

7. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Z7 is a better bow in my opinion, but shoot them both before you decide.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot other bows as well Mathews and Bear make fine bows but there are so many other companies making good stuff.

9. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Z7 is worth the money. There's a reason that Mathews has the reputation that they do. If nothing else, take it fully loaded, sell what you don't want and rebuild.

10. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews z7 is one of the greatest bows ever made, in my opinion

11. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should be able to find fully dressed z7's for around $550, I would go Mathews over Bear.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great Advice!

13. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the z7 is 5 years old. not worth 700$. its more worth 350 to 400$. 700$ is as much as a person selling a used no camhtr. because i sell my previous mathews to my friends for 500$. what you can do is at your pro shop just do a 500$ downpay for a no cam htr. and slowly pay it off.

14. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the reputation mathews has. but its the person thats selling the bow for more than he should have because of its name. if it cost 700$ and you dont know what the previous owners did to it. ive seen lots of z7s and up that sell over 700$ and the string and cables are bad. the riser and cams are scrached real bad and the bows dirty compared to my good mint condition bows that i sell to my friends for 500$.

15. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I would shoot them both and see which you like best. Between the two I have to go with most on here and say the Z7. Think it is actually one of Mathews best bows every. Would the shop be willing to remove everything and sell it to you just bare bow at a lower price since it doesn't have a lot of the stuff you want anyways? Tell them to put that stuff on the Bear and sell that one for more money!

16. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say the Z7. I've shot bear and didn't like it. Couldn't hold a group to save my life.

17. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes Mathews are top of the line but even if they are top of the line doesn't mean it will fit what you like in a bow. If every person liked the same thing then their really wouldn't be anything different about any bow out their.

I agree with Buckeye, even though the Z7 was/is a good bow it does seem a little high. I'd be curious to know what accessories are on the bow. I would think more of $400-$500 for that used bow. I might be wrong, but for a couple hundred more you could get a brand new Mathews bow.

Check out the Mission by Mathews line of bows as well. They are good bows and you would get something new in your price range instead of dropping $1000 plus on a new HTR or some other Mathews bow.

Shoot the bow before you buy it!

18. Marcus LaVallee_007

Marcus LaVallee_007 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You definitely cant go wrong with Mathews Solocam, never been a big fan of Bear

19. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have not read all the post but I can tell you this both will kill deer just as well. With the price differences in mind if both were in equally good shape I would have to go with the Bear. I would definitely shoot them both to see how they feel but at the end of the day in a skilled archers hands they both will get things done in good fashion. A lot of dealers down play the Bear line. For the price points they are definitely worth a look at. Good luck choosing and let us know what direction you go. :tu:

20. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a bear bow at that price point and i would suggest going with the mathews. Ive done my share of killing with the bear but in the long run you will be happier with a higher quality bow. It really depends on how serious you are about archery. If you just want a bow to shoot a couple dozen arrows before season and hunt a few weekends, go with the bear. If you shoot 200 arrows a week go with the z7.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk