Micro plots

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Rory, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Rory

Rory Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was watching the outdoor channel and a guy was planting a food plot around his stand
    They were talking about ph levels and agricultural stuff I'm not interested in. If I took a bag of food plot seed, any brand of huge buck lure, and just planted it. What time of year should I spread my seed? Now I've planted many a seed in my day but what week in Pennsylvania should I try to create a monster buck smorgasbord of nutritious seed?

2. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WAY to vague of a question. What kind of seed? Clover? Wheat? Peas? Chicory? Also you have to maximize seed to soil contact so clear out all leaves, vegetation, ex. Also is it in the woods or in a open area or what? You need to be specific for people to help

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    On Midwest Whitetails this week, Bill Weinke did an episode on micro plots. He talked about how these plots are designed to bring deer by your stand, as they travel from bedding to the larger food sources later in the deer season. Beginning with the Pre-rut leading into the Rut. I would plant it in September. If it is a early season food plot, I would plant it now. Keep in mind, being a "micro plot" it is not designed to last long or feed deer for an extended period of time. I would try Winter Wheat, Oats, brassicas or sugar beets.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rory unfortunately you don't have a choice but to be interested in the ph levels of the soil. The reason being is that if the levels suck then your crop won't grow to its potential and you are literally throwing money on the ground in the form of seed and fertilizer. Timing depends on what you want. Early season, late season or all season. SharpEyeSam gives you good advice up top. I really like the Midwest Whitetails episodes but its all about doing the work. Good luck.

5. Rory

Rory Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks. I think I'm going to give it a try this fall.

6. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try turnips. Make sure it has a min of 6 hrs of sunlight

7. ccspinners

ccspinners Newb

Dislikes Received:
  8. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tough question, but as others have stated, if you wanna be serious about food plots you'll have to get interested in "agricultural stuff" such as soil ph, soil compositions, moisture content, and amount of daily sunlight. As someone else mentioned it's not as easy as buying seed, putting it on the ground and expecting to grow a bumper crop to feed deer. If you slack on the prep you are throwing money away. Food plots are like anything else in hunting, you'll get back out what you put into it.