Let's talk about treestands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jkadkins, Jul 10, 2015.

1. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I hunted all year out of my Summit climbing stand, and I like it a lot - it's currently the only treestand that I have and the only one I've ever used. I've found that there are times when the climber doesn't fit the trees in my area, and I can't hunt where I'd like. For instance crooked trees, or trees that have bark that isn't climber friendly.

I'd like to get a different setup (or two) that I can put about anywhere, that fits a grad student's budget - and on one property I hunt, I'm worried there may be trespassers that are in the market for a free stand. I've been looking around at the local ****s and online at Bass Pro. Today at ****s I found that they're selling "Comfort Zone" hang on stands for $60 and the 20 foot climbing ladder (same brand) for $50, but I've never heard anything about this brand. They're also selling two man ladder stands for $150 or so. I've also been looking at the Big Game treestands that go for about $100. Tomorrow I'm going to Bass Pro to compare prices, but the Comfort Zone stands seems like a steal.

So here are a few questions I'd like to hear opinions about:

Do you prefer hang-on vs ladder stands? Why? With these prices I'm considering one of each just to have a buddy stand.
    Do you know anything about "Comfort Zone" stands? Or do you use one?
    Are there advantages to the climbing ladders versus the climbing sticks? The sticks seem to not go as high as the ladder. I'd like to get up to around 15 feet or so.

Thanks for comments!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer a lightweight hang on with sticks. I'm using a lone wolf setup and love it. I can hunt wherever I want and never leave it in the woods when I'm not there. What's your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the 40 dollor comfort zone hang on stands with the xop climbing sticks. Hang the stands where u want and then take the sticks out with u.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use a comfort zone hanger with lw sticks. I added shoulder straps which helps packing in/out. Somewhere around 16-17lbs.

CZ, I believe, is steel, no frills and you cannot buy replacement parts. It is cheap.

I like the hanger/stick pairing as I hunt public ground. A ladder stand isn't practical. The sticks let me set up in trees a climber couldn't and gives me more options.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  5. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use both hang on and climbers. I have a big game hang on with X brand climbing sticks. The sticks aren't the lightest, and toting them through the woods isn't an easy task. I bundle the climbing sticks together with a ratchet strap and then ratchet them to the hang on and carry it all on my back. It makes it easier treading through the woods to said stand location. I really like the hang on considering that just about any tree will work for it. I use my climber when I want to set up in a different area or hunting a new area that I don't know all that well. It's just a little more mobile than taking down the hang on and sticks.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Q. Do you prefer hang-on vs ladder stands? Why?
    A. Hang-on. Ladder stands are nice, but can be difficult to set up alone and a pain to move if the spot isn't good.

Q. Do you know anything about "Comfort Zone" stands? Or do you use one?
    A. I do not use one, I use a LW Assault and 4 LW sticks for mobility purposes.

Q. Are there advantages to the climbing ladders versus the climbing sticks? The sticks seem to not go as high as the ladder. I'd like to get up to around 15 feet or so.
    A. With the ladder style you are stuck using fairly straight trees still. Sticks allow more flexibility for tree choices.

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You say you have a student-like budget so Lone Wolf is probably not an option. Look at Sportsman's Guide. Their stands and sticks are very reasonably priced. Another option is getting in on the end of season sales at places like Wally World. Over the years I have picked up some real deals this way. Good luck!

Blessings........Pastorjim

8. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to use a hang on stand. We use some stands that my Dad has producer. I like the hang on stands because I can grab a few steps and away I go. We do have some ladder stands but those are in the best spots where the deer are and we hunt them during rut and we have shot some nice bucks out of them but they are small compared to what my dad made.

9. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can spend a little more on it, I just was trying to give a feel for my price constraints (if it's cheaper and of good quality, I'm in always). I'd love to spend 350 or so on a LW and sticks, but that's just not feasible for me right now. However, I can go with a little cheaper stand and then get some sticks, which seems the most popular and mobile choice if I want to move around a little.

I was leaning towards the climbing ladder over the sticks because of the price, but I was afraid it was for straighter trees. And it seems a 3-pack of the sticks only goes to 12 feet or so. Four sticks sounds pretty common with what I've read, so do you all buy a 3-pack and then a single, or two three packs, or what? Single climbing sticks don't seem so common, except from Lone Wolf.

10. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you keep an eye out you can find a lone wolf hang on for cheaper. I kept looking and found a used one on eBay that had been used for one season. Got 200 off it. After getting it in the mail I don't thing I will ever use a different stand. Got some of the climbing sticks 100 off on eBay because they were "display unit" at a big box store, never been used but 100 off.

11. bone_driven

bone_driven Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im a college student so im in the same budget boat as you are and have the same problem about my climber not fitting all trees. I have 160 acres of family land with ladder stands set up on my small in the woods plots. They stay there and have been there for 5+ years on the same tree. i dont plan on moving them because i constantly see deer at these locations. They are the cheap ladder stands that wal mart sells for 99 bucks.

As for lock ons they are easy to move and fast to set up. I have 2 lock ons that i move during early bow season when i have bucks patterned on my camera. Set them up in locations that give me the best possiblity on a shot on the bucks travel routes. I bought a box of the screw in steps and one set of climbing sticks in sections of 3. I use the screw in steps most of the way up the tree then put a section of the climbing sticks on top of that under the lock on. I just feel more secure with climbing sticks under the lock on while climbing into the lock on and out of it. Ive found its cheaper to use this combination then buying slimbing sticks for every lock on.

As for the actual lock on i have game winner brand with extra large platform. I found them on sale after one season for 30 bucks each compared to 90 bucks. I would check craigslist in your surrounding areas for some good deals as well.

I have five stands on my property. 3 2 man stands and 2 lock ons. costing around 500 bucks for everything. I dont buy all these expensive stands because im on a budget like you. I just use extra ratchet straps to ensure the stand is extra secure to the tree and my HSS when in a lock on as well. I have my climber for when i need to hunt somewehere else which is a summit. I do like to buy the best i can when it comes to a climber.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the Big Game stagger steps Gander MTN sells and they are decent. They are on clearance right now for $14.96/ea. They are not the lightest but if you are on a budget it's something to consider.

13. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer a hang on b/c of the foot room, generally ladder stands have smaller platforms.

I picked up a Rivers Edge XL Hang On from Midway last year for $35 and Comfort Zone ladder for $40 from ****s.

14. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking at something that is reasonable and yet good quality take a look at Hawk tree stands, they have excellent stands and sticks that don't break the bank. I use lone wolf as well and it's my go to stand when running and gunning. I buy hawk stands because they don't cost a arm and a leg to get a few and they are still quality! Hawks steel small hang ons cost $80 and the XL is $100 and the lite weight aluminums for the small platform is $120 and the XL aluminum is $140. I do believe the aluminum sticks are $70-80 for a three pack something like that not positive though as I just use my lone wolf sticks. But hawk stands are my go to stands when leaving them hanging because it's quality with a good price!
    Hope this helps some!

15. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The sticks that I purchased came with 5 4ft sections. They were from Academy, I believe.

16. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think your best option is going to be a set of sticks from Lone Wolf or XOP (XOP has new ones coming out this month) For a stand, you could check out Lone Wolf but they are pricey. XOP is going to be a little cheaper ($200 for the Air Raid)

I also use the Summit Viper for my Climber. But for my portable stand setup the past 5+Years I used a stand from a company called Loc-On. They are super light weight. I think my stand is like 6 or 7 pounds. Mine is called the Limit but its the older version. My dad knew the guy that invented them so we got 2 of his prototypes. You have just enough room to sit and stand. I'm a smaller guy so it worked perfect for me. For carrying I used a strap and bungy to stap it to the stand for carrying.

I would definitely check out the XOP sticks and XOP Air Raid though as your best option. I think i'm getting those this fall.

17. Backwoods89

Backwoods89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just ordered the Ol' Man "The Roast" lock-on for $107.99 off The Sportsman's Guide. I went with Ol' Man because of the price and you can get replacement parts with them fairly cheap. I use lock-on's on private property and a summit climber on public land.

18. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the looks of that stand. Good price too. I think I'm getting one of these.

19. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that stand does look nice for the money and i'm sure it would work just fine but here is some things to keep in mind from experience. That stand weighs 22.5 pounds so if this is a stand that you are going to use more as a run and gun portable stand I think your in for a tough time. This is one of the reasons why lone wolf became so popular besides the cast platform is that it is lightweight. Half the weight of the ol'man stand. If I remember correctly the Summit Viper is 21 pounds as a comparison. If you want a run and gun type stand then I would look at lighter options

20. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got two guide gear stick and ladder combos for $70 each from sportsman's guide and they haven't let me down yet.