Im looking for assistance in proper arrow selection (brand and spine)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DIY_guy, Jul 9, 2015.

1. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im helping a very tall and long armed friend with his first bowhunting setup. He will be shooting a 55 Lbs single cam PSE using a release and will need 31" arrows and either 100 or 125 grain BH's.

What spine Carbon Express and what Spine Gold Tips should he be looking for?

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is his draw length?

With an arrow that long, you are most likely looking at a .340 spine and most likely 100 grain broadheads.

Give us more detail and you will get accurate suggestions rather than just a quess.

Specific bow and draw length are needed.

3. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im uncertain of the exact model of PSE bow. Its a single cam bow perhaps 3 years old. Its fits him well and at full draw with the end of the insert (back of the broadhead) 1 inch in front of the riser and safely away from his fingers, the arrow length from the nock groove is 31". I expect he will use 100 or 125 grain heads. Is he looking for a gold tip 600 or 500 or a Carbon Express 150 or 250???

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say carbon express 350s, carb express is backwards compared to Easton. 250 is weaker than 350 on Carbon express. He may be a tad over spined but if he wants to ever go up in draw weight he will need the 350s.

On the other hand he won't have to cut his arrows! Maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The specific bow matters as there is a big difference between a 300 fps ibo rated bow and one that is rated for 340 fps.

For gold tip, it would most likely be a 340, or 7595. Carbon Express 350.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  6. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This older bow would probably not be rated for 340 fps (especially at 55 pounds). I called a local archery shop that told me the online charts are way over spined. He said they have even spoken with engineers at GT and CE and they admit the calulators and charts online lead a person to buy overspined arrows but from a liability standpoint, they would rather be safe (on their end) and dont really care if your arrow is a bit stiff. The archery shop dealer told me to select 250's if he gets CE and 500 if he gets Gold Tip.

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    500 spine arrows are made for children and girls. Seems you already have your mind made up, so why ask here?

You are not following at all what I am saying. IBO rating is 70 pounds, 30 inch draw length and 350 grain arrows. It is the standard in which they test bows at.

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also, your local dealer is grossly misinforming you to have your friend with a 30 or so inch draw length shooting 55 pounds to select a .500 spine arrow. Arrow flight will be a disaster, especially if he is using cut on contact broadheads. Putting 125 grains on the front of that arrow would be a clown show.

9. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only just called the archery shop after starting this thread and simply relayed what was communicated to me. That in no way should be misinterpreted as me having my mind already made up. I supplied the pro shop with the same data set I provided here and only relayed his recommendation for spine. I am not saying he is correct or incorrect or that I have made up my mind. That is why I asked here. Perhaps 600 spine would be a better bet.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With GoldTip the lower the number the stiffer the arrow spine. Carbon Express the higher the number the stiffer the arrow spine.

11. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, this I know. What I was wondering is the proper spine for each diff brand for the above mentioned setup.

The dealership said (I just called them back) said CE 250 or Gold Tip 600 (after I pressed him on 500 being to weak of a spine)

12. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That dealer sounds a little off to me, I don't know anything about gold tip but on CE you will want to go with the 350s for sure. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The dealer has no idea what he is talking about as a .600 spine is softer than .500.

Never call this dealer again. Ever.

14. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did the online calculators for GT and CE to arrive at a spine they suggest. That was easy and anybody could select an arrow but being Uncertain of the calculators and real world experiences of users, I thought I would ask here, then I contacted the archery dealer who gave conflicting recommendations from advice offered here. Im now closer to suggesting to him CE 350 or GT 500 unless I hear compelling reasons to think otherwise.

15. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A gold Tip 600 is for children or very petite women.

16. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you need to find out a lot of things. Draw length being first. Secondly you should really call Gold tip and Carbon express AFTER you find out what your friends set up is such as Draw length and weight.

17. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As to draw length for this PSE, when at full draw (with no loop on the string) and with the end of the insert 1 inch out in front of the riser (right at the grip above the archers hand) the arrow needs to be 31".

From that end of the arrow measured back to berger button hole where the arrow rest mounts is 2 inches less so 29 would be what I assume would be the draw length for the bow (But not) the arrow length needed. He had drawn into the hard stop pin on the lover cam and is at a comfortable draw length. I know the arrow length regardless of what the actual draw length is of the bow itself. From what I can gather, the charts care about arrow length but they may mean draw length but I doubt that as a person could shoot an arrow several inches longer than the draw length if so desired.

18. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are multiple variables that determin what spine a bow needs.

All are as important as the other.

-What specific bow it is
    -Draw weight
    -Draw length

and to a lesser degree anything that is on the bow string (peep site, string dampeners, kisser button, nocking points)

You generally cannot accurately pick an arrow with out each of the first three variables.

19. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And yet none of the makers of arrows ask what specific bow you use. They ask for draw weight and arrow length (length of arrow, not draw length). They may ask if you use round wheel, single cam, double cam but none ask brand or model.

I know he is using a 31 inch arrow
    55 pounds of draw
    Kisser
    Peep (with rubber)
    Release
    No string silencers
    100 or 125 grain head

20. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Notice I said "accurately" choose a shaft. There is a huge difference in the power generated by a hard dual cam and a soft single cam.

This biggest factor for your friend is the fact he is shooting a 31" arrrow. Which just happens to be a full length uncut arrow.

An arrows spine is measured by going to the center of the arrow, then 14.5 inches each way from center and supporting the arrow shaft at those two points. So the 29 center most inches of an arrow. They then hang an approx. 2 pound weight from the center of the arrow shaft. The deflection is then measured in .001's of an inch. Meaning a .500 spine shaft deflected .500's of an inch. A .400 spine shaft deflected .400's of an inch etc etc.

Your friends arrows are longer than what is used to calculate an arrows spine. Meaning no matter what shaft he selects, the arrow shaft is already weaker than what is wrote on the label from its spine defection.