Get this.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CJCullen, Jul 8, 2015.

1. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So where I work I have a lot of down time just kinda waiting for something to break so I can fix it and so a lot of my downtime is on bowhunting.com. I just received an email from the company admin saying he is blocking me from the "violent" and "weapons related" site I am always on and if I have any issues I can contact the plant manager......violent and weapons related....well this is a new one. Still got YouTube though!

2. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well that sucks. I hope that never happens to me. Could make for some long nights :lol:.

3. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your company admin is a PETA fanatic. I'd have a friendly chat with that manager.

4. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Company I work for, no youtube or any streaming services due to bandwidth considerations. No firearms related sites allowed but bowhunting sites are A-OK so far.

5. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ridiculous!!!! what has this country come to?

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of companies block anything hunting assuming they are weapons related. When I worked at USAir I only ever got online at lunch time, but all hunting sites were blocked. Heck even on USAToday they had the sports page blocked because it was considered gambling related. Not kidding.

7. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shake my head.. about all I can say on that one.

Reminds me of one of those e-cards, that I saw a few days ago. "Good morning America, what can we be offended by today?" This country, in my opinion, needs to stop being so sensative to every little thing.

8. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is they are using a 'service' that rates the sites. Much like a spam software does. So your admin/company are not putting that label on it but the software they are using. I wouldn't think to much into it.

9. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks. Hope that never happens to me. Pretty much all the people are on Facebook where I work. Bow hunting.com is my Facebook. So it would suck to lose that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They have some stuff blocked here, but it's mostly social media and streaming video type sites. Honestly they aren't that good at blocking it because we can't go directly to the Youtube page, but we can follow an embedded video and it will allow us to get to Youtube. Then we can search and watch whatever. They have photobucket blocked, so I can't see any pictures that are hosted by them. That really sucks because I really enjoy everyone's hunting and trail cam pics.

11. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That right there is what's called the pussifcation of America and why I'm glad I don't work for one of those kinds of companies. I would talk to the plant manager because the explanation alone is a load of crap and forcing your own personal opinions as policy is a joke or the person doesn't know the difference between a firearm and a bow, I had an insurance agent tell me they were the same thing until I pressed the issue and she looked into it and admitted she was wrong.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IT people love to be funsuckers, it gives them a feeling of power.

13. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am the system admin at my company so I'm the prick blocking bowhunting.com while I'm cruising around on it looking at trail cam pics.

14. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn straight! lol

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love to toy with our IT guy, I set up my wifi hotspot in the office so those that can bypass and get to view what they want.:wave:

16. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ha you guys are awesome! I would talk to the plant manager but our maintenance manager would pull something like "you could be cleaning or studying manuals instead of on a non-work related site" blah blah blah crap. I'm not to mad just more annoyed. I just thought it was worth posting as I couldn't believe it actually happened.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Simple reply to him: That's fine, I'll just use my smart phone. SUCKIT!

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For some, perhaps. Most are just following orders of the folks above them.

In the IT field you spend much of your time trying to protect people from themselves and protect your network from stupid people's actions, which of course is perceived as being the "funsucker". Don't blame IT - blame the stupid people who infect their computers and/or networks with viruses by visiting infected websites, clicking on links in random emails, or installing programs they just randomly decide to download and put on their computers.

19. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I`m tired of all the nonsense about guns killing people! Enough, a gun cant hurt a sole unless picked up by a human being!! Enough said, end the madneess America, lets get our country back while it still has a small pulse!!!

20. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I work in IT as well and work very closely with our Network Admin. We are testing a web filter as we are in the process of blocking sites like facebook and streaming sites except for lunch hours. I straight out told him " If you block bowhunting.com do not ever talk to me again" LOL He laughed and said he wouldn't. I told him their is 2 sites I need and that is bowhunting.com and Yahoo sports for my Fantasy Football