Single Row Planter...

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tynimiller, Jul 6, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    GregH's post got me thinking (after my jealousy haha) how many out there have utilized a manual single row planter for their smaller plots?

We utilize only micro to small (largest being maybe an acre) plot set ups but one maybe two would set up nicely to incorporate corn and beans (yes I understand the high risk of overbrows but trust me I want them to eat them)...so a manual single row planter the more I think on it may be the ticket...

...or if not the manual planters do any of you have experience with pull behind single (maybe double) row planters for ATV's or lawn tractors? I've seen em but not sure how user friendly they are?

For myself it doesn't make sense breaking bank on a planter for such small operations but something like discussed may be well worth it in the long run. Just looking for feedback...

2. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We bought a single row pull behind planter after using a couple homemade planters from friends. We would've made our own but couldn't find a planter to re purpose. We plant between 3-5 acres a corn and beans with it. The results are way better then broadcasting seed. Farmers have called us and rented it to patch bare spots in their fields as well, others have used it to plant sweet corn. If you keep an open mind there is ways for it to pay for itself.

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    What kind and cost? We talking pulling behind a full size tractor or an ATV do the trick?

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing it's 3 point or quick hitch. We pull our two row with a 40hp tractor and about 3500lb lift which is way more than enough but that's our smallest tractor.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  5. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some local guy in Rochester MN makes them. I think it was just under $1000. It pulls behind a ATV, it has two additional wheels that carry it and also act as drive wheels. It gets raised and lowered with a winch.

untitled.jpg

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    That is impressive but much more than I'm looking for price wise, don't doubt it is worth every penny though, thing looks awesome.