Rage or Muzzy?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bear bow shooter, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Bear bow shooter

Bear bow shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying to decide whether to go Rage or Muzzy. I hear good about both and would like some suggestions.

2. PSEFreakAR

PSEFreakAR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot both, and loved both. I shoot rage hypodermics now just because they are so easy.... I've been nothing but impressed with the carnage they have caused

3. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy would be my choice. Tried the rage for few years. Convinced me to stay with fixed heads. jmo

4. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on your set up, poundage, arrow etc.... A fixed blade will never fail and penetration is usually not an issues even in lighter bows, but mechanicals usually give bigger cuts. I don't shoot rage but know folks that do and have. Some swear by them. Others have had bad results with quartering shots, failure to pass through, and broken blades. I'll stick with my spitfires.

5. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love mechanicals and have shot several over the past 15 years. I don't like rage though. Look into a dead ringer rampage 2 blade 2 inch. Best I have shot in my opinion.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My friend shoots Rage Extremes and has always had complete pass through shots (arrow in the ground) and short blood trails. He shoots 60# but has his bow well tuned. I think too many people use mechanicals as a crutch for a poorly tuned bow and then complain about their performance. When really their bow is just shooting broadheads poorly. You still need a properly tuned bow even with mechanical heads.

I only shoot fixed blade broadheads for deer; QAD Exodus 100gr full blade. I also shot Muzzy for over 10 years and they are good too. I just had some issues with ferrels bending making them unusable, so I switched to QAD and haven't had an issue yet.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rage broadheads have always performed well for me. When I first started bowhunting back in 1995 I used Muzzy broadheads. They are good broadheads. I have heard good things about the Muzzy Trocar.

8. newyork103

newyork103 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    rage chisel tip extreme work really good for me

9. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have shot muzzy's for 24 years and have killed a slam of deer with them , but over the last 2-3 years it seems like blood trails from them haven't been what they use to be , no matter where they are hit .. Tried the Rage Hypodermic the last few days of the season last year and shot a 6 point with it , the hole was huge and blood trail started at point of impact and stopped where the deer fell , 35 yards later , Ray Charles could follow it ..... the Hypodermic will be on the business end of my arrows this year ...

10. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard bad stories from both. My neighbor shot two deer with a muzzy and barely had a blood trail. A lot of guys are having bad experiences with Rages not opening. IMO you can't go wrong with a NAP Killzone Low Ke. Why? It will always works, have better penetration than the regular Killzones and leave an awesome blood trail.

I killed the buck in my avatar with a Rage but after hearing about a lot of bad experiences, I can't trust them anymore. I want a broadhead that I can trust and that will ALWAYS work if I make a good shot.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like rage hypodermic or nap killzone

12. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I and the guys I hunt with use Rage, regular tip and hypodermic. Good success on bear and deer. Last year I killed 2 bucks and 1 bear with Hypos none going over 40 yards. Like anything else good shot placement with any quality broadhead will net you a kill. Lots of good broadheads out there right now. I have also used killzones and slick tricks.

13. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't needed to bloodtrail the majority of deer that I've shot with my muzzys. They usually drop in 80 yards or less. Any deer I've lost were due to poor hits.
    I can think of one deer, an intestine hit where *maybe* a larger cutting diameter would have helped. But I can also think of at least three deer I tagged where I knew my muzzy could handle the heavy bone and shot angle with no worries of deflection or poor penetration.

15. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you realize that they are basically the same head and open the EXACT same way?

Rage and NAP Killzones are both my pick. I've shot Extreme's for going on 3 years but I test and try out plenty of other heads too. Nothing has De-throned my Rage's yet!

16. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rage. I've shot them for 6 seasons. Buckets of blood and no need to trail. One heart-shot cut a buck's heart nearly in half. At 60# w/28.5 DL, I've never had a single issue with flight, pass-through or deployment.

17. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use muzzy 3 blade. never got 4 blade muzzy to shoot good

18. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm bias to fixed blade heads, I don't shoot muzzy but I would over rage just due to not liking mechs. I have several friends that shoot both killzones and rage and they do leave crazy bloodtrails and monster wound channel. I wouldn't limit yourself just to rage or muzzy, there are so many options out there. Good luck with whatever you go with!

19. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To add to my previous post, if I had to go back to a fixed head, I would without a doubt shoot an offering from Slick Trick. I've tested and killed deer with them in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Could never get muzzy to fly well. Rage blades coming unlocked has caused more than a few people to miss deer.
    G5 t3 or steel force fat head for me.